Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conductor for local rock band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by slick519, Nov 18, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    It seems i have a little question, concerning my status in this new band i am "in."

I am 15 years old, and a guy, and music runs in my family EXTREMLY deep. So, that made me a pretty musical guy. This was all good, but a couple of months ago, i was at a local concert and there were som fairly talented musicians in this one band. The kids in this band are all talented w/ there instuments (2 guitars, bassist, and a drummer) the only thing was that they just couldnt write any good music!! so i suggested some tips to there guitar player on a very un-inspired solo that needed some work. He had very open ears about it all, and invited my comments to there recording studio. I agreed, and now a couple months, and a bunch of help later, they are about to release their new album.

now here is my problem....
    Almost all of the songs on that album are my ideas, and i would run the recording pretty much like a conductor, me acting like a fool, counting out beats and ordering crecendos. I always had some rough sheet music infront of me, keeping place, and all that such.
    But how well is this gonna hold up, and is this any way for a band to be? they are all in there 20s, and they are taking instruction from someone a ways younger than them. I am really enjoying this so far, but i fear that this is gonna crumble pretty soon....:(

your thoughts?
    slicks

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It's about time for a heart-to-heart talk with these guys in which you all lay your agendas on the table. What do they expect from you and what do they plan to do for you in return? What do you expect from them, etc? Be clear. Tell them you don't want any surprises, nor should they.

I think you need to have the end game in sight. Do you want this arrangement to be permanent? Do they? Or would you like to gradually wean them from your guidance? Do they want to eventually wean themselves form you?

Should you be compensated for your contribution to the band? If so, how? A one time fee or a share of the CD's profits or what? Should your name appear on the CD jackets as producer? Did you write or arrange any or all of the songs? Should you get any income from publishing?

Iron out all these details so that there are no misundertsandings or hard feelings if either you or they end up feeling cheated or mistreated. Maybe you'd better put the agreement in writing. Talking it out now will save heartache and bitterness later.

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Thanks alot, ill try to do that, but what are your feelings about this, jstu as a way of making music?

thanks,

=slicks=

4. Congratulations, son, you can call yourself a "producer" now. Steal their royalties and go snort some of your hard-earned blow.

:D

5. Ladies and gentlemen, PMF...the man who's no help at all :D

Just kidding Pete.

On topic? Sure, no prob.

I say just keep on doing what you're doing. If band mates are okay with taking your direction...then you're doing something good. Practice will make you even better.

Good luck man.

And don't listen to PMF about the snorting and the blow. He lies. :D

6. Oh, you wish. YOU WISH.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Right on! :D

Actually, slicks, you did fufill the role of producer and are entitled to production credit on the album and some cut from it's sales.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There's no official rule book. When it comes to music there are better and worse ways to do things. But all that really matters is the end result. If you got a good result then it's a win. Props and take a bow.

What's more important is what you want to do with music - and how you want to do it.

Once you've got it settled in your own head - go do that. :thumbsup:

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Yeah, as the others have said, you did the kinds of things that producers do on recordings.

So, in the future, before you do this kind of thing, make arrangements with the band about how much you'll be paid, whether you'll be on writing credits, etc. This kind of thing has to be in writing ahead of time, because the proof problems if it isn't are tremendous.

This is great experience for you, whether you'll be doing this kind of thing in your own band or whether you continue to do it for other groups. The more you know about the entire music process, the better.

10. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    ..........14 years later, I wonder how it all turned out. :blackeye:

11. Matt O

Matt O Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Internet is such an interesting thing.

That 15 year old kid is now pushing 30...

12. This has to be some kind of record for resurrected thread.
    And a caution to all of us to check the last date before responding to threads found in searches (because the default sort method is by relevance, not date).

13. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, being a music director/producer might just be in your future. It isn't as typical in rock, but very common for a jazz group to have some sort of conductor/bandleader.

is there an instrument you could be playing along with them? That might make it a little more congruent.

14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    And whatever happened to that Peter McFerrin guy? He was such a smug bastard! :laugh:

15. Peter McFerrin was last seen: Apr 23, 2009

I did wonder about the OP when I saw he was 15 and joined in 2001, I figured that his parents must have signed him up to TB knowing he was going to be a bass player.

Then I saw the post date.

16. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Yeah, obviously I missed the date of the first post too. Guess I gotta look at more than the date of the post before mine!

Wouldn't it be interesting to know if he made a career out of it?

17. picko

picko Banned

Feb 23, 2016
    Beat it, kid.