Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cone area vs. Sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 4, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can a 2x10" cab with a sensitivity of, say, 102dB SPL @ 1W/1m really be as loud as an 8x10" with the same sensitivity?
    Wouldn´t the 810 seem louder? Or at least be felt more?
    Please explain this to me! :confused:

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If both cabs were accurately rated at the same sensitivity (measured the same way) they would both create the same sound level from an identical signal. That's pretty much the definition of sensitivity.

However- there are lots of ways to measure sentivity (different frequencies, different distances, different power levels, etc).

You can have 2 cabs with the same sensitivity measured at 1khz, that will have much different frequency responses, so one could sound deeper than the other, even though at some measured frequency they are identical in sensitivity,

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well althoughits beyond me to explain the exact science, yes the 810 will apparrently be more louder
    it will be moving 4 times the air
    i would geuss that in the real world it would be 3bd - 6db louder

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There is a danger in placing too much emphasis on one particular spec of a speaker. You really should read all the speaker's specs in conjunction with each other.

To answer your question, the cabs will produce the same SPL when fed a 1,000Hz sine wave at 1 watt when measured at one meter. Not only is that highly unlikely to happen to that speaker ever again once it's been measured, I'll bet you everything I own the sine will sound different through each speaker. Don't forget that the sensitivity will have been measured with the speaker suspended in free air, so they'll sound different again once you implant them into a cab.

Alsoc, chances are that the 8x10 will have a higher wattage rating, meaning it can be fed more power and will ultimately be louder.

Furthermore, the 8x10 will benefit from the coupling effect of low frequencies. You could spread 8 seperate 10 inch speakers across the stage and it will sound nothing ike the 8x10s in one cab. You could even try grouping them in pairs, effectively creating 4 lots of 2x10 and you still won't get the sound of an 8x10 cab.

5. No it isn't, as other have explained. 102 dB is 102 dB. It isn't any different in "the real world" because those measurements are made in "the real world".

The 810 will be moving the exact same amount of air as the 210 at 102 dB (why even doubt?) Coincidently, both cabs produce that 102 dB with 1 watt of input power.

However, the 810 will most likely be apperently louder, due to the reasons Petebass mentioned.

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks so far!
    Is this coupling the one that causes the SPL to rize by 3dB when you double the cone area?
    Or is this bass coupling something different?
    Can it be simulated in WinISD? Or is it already included in that program?
    The frequency response of a cab doesn´t seem to change in WinISD as you add more (identical) drivers. Does it change in the real world?