Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cone of Sum 41

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Recently I read an article in Bass Player about Sum 41's Bassist Cone. I'm sorry, but Ive never heard anything that great come from this man. Can anyone reccomend some good Sum 41 Bass? What do you guys think of him?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    standard pop-punk bassist. nothing special.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think BP magazine is kinda biased. They will make anyone sound good who will do an interview with them.

4. BP is trying to be a bit more "hip", it seems, with reviews of bassists from bands like sum 41, thursday, and glassjaw. not that they do anything worth writing about, but they are new and cool-looking. :rolleyes:

5. I've got nothing against Cone. I actually like him. Good bass player. Very comfortable with the instrument (hence the stunts he pulls). Nothing special from him on record. "Into Deep" and "What we're all about" have kinda groovy bass lines, but again nothing special. Cool, yet very simple solo on "Motivation". I don't mind that at all. At least he is doing what his music needs. Live, I hear him do some nice improvisations. One thing that bothers me is his tone. Doesn’t cut through well. If you ever noticed, he plays his P-Bass with pick, right next to the bridge. I don’t know about that.

On a side note, I have noticed that Sum41 is getting better and better. If they try hard enough, I won't be surprised that in a few years, they come up with a legitmate metal album.

6. They'll interview anyone who will help them sell mags. Just like everyone else in the media business, from Rolling Stone to CNN to the New Yorker.

Cone's alright. If you asked around, people could suggest a whole bunch of other bassists.

I don't know any Sum songs, though at least they haven't become super-whiny like everyone else and still have a pretty good sense of humor.

If you like Sum, check out ALL, the Descendents, BigWig and Alkaline Trio, I think you might like them as well.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Watched a sum41 concert last night:eek: you say bass player did a what on this guy:confused: He plays bass thats it!

8. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Alls he does is play a lot of rythm.
    I've never seen Cone play without a pick

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

ALL! *grin* just had too.. hmm sum is.. hmm i dont like them, theyre songs are catchy as hell though. =D which is good, and bad. Bad for me, i dont like them but there songs get stuck in my head so much. Hey There making records and being happy. Thats all that really matters though, I hope they release an album though that i can get into someday though. Cause then i could like what was going through my head. :D

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have heard there junk on the radio and change it as soon as it comes on! Because they r one of those bands that make you wonder why???? I can tell you that there r several bass players in this forum that deserve to make it more than that guy and about 75% of all bands on the radio and mtv!

11. Their music wouldnt sound good with anything but what Cone does. Thats why I respect him and all punk bassists. They, for the most part, keep it kinda simple and just play a couple notes.

Now i do have alot more respect for someone like Vic who does some crazy $hit and just goes nuts.

12. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I thought the guitar player from Glassjaw played all of the songs on both albums, and they hired other guys to play live.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it's like Hoppus but buried in the mix... or maybe I need new speakers... :/

still nothing new or special

14. Cone (what kind of name is that?) isn't good...but he also isn't bad either. He needs to play more stuff other than just what the guitar is doing. Or maybe he wrote the riffs and the guitarist is following along?

15. I bet Cone knows the difference between 'there' and 'their'. I don't think illiterate people deserve to be on the radio, so stop whining. Obviously their band as a whole must be doing something right if they can sell that many records. If you don't like their music, i'd be willing to bet that they don't care. Sure, he doesn't play anything complicated - but who says he has to? They are doing what they want. I bet people don't tell you what kind of music you should play, so don't tell other people the same.

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I bet Cone knows the difference between 'there' and 'their'. I don't think illiterate people deserve to be on the radio, so stop whining. Obviously their band as a whole must be doing something right if they can sell that many records. If you don't like their music, i'd be willing to bet that they don't care. Sure, he doesn't play anything complicated - but who says he has to? They are doing what they want. I bet people don't tell you what kind of music you should play, so don't tell other people the same

Ahhh how cute! I think he tried to insult me! hehehe Hey the give me crap for my grammer is old news! I am a bass player not a english major. And i could care less to tell you the truth! I have a great job in music and make enough cash to support my family. I didnt get there because i goof when i type on the computer. Come on just because you like sum 41 or have a crush on the guy or somthing doesnt mean you need to get nasty about it! Please dont be so child like next time you post nobody here likes it!
    All i was trying to say is that it is obvious that there are thousands of musicians out there that make it famous because of other reasons besides talent! If you dont agree with that then you really need to go watch sum 41 or some band like that and then go to a few pubs and clubs around your city and watch other garage bands and you will see that they are the same thing except sum 41 has a few more toys to play with. Then maybe you should go to a few jazz clubs or good blues clubs and watch the real musicians do there part. I have played bass for over 20 years and have had a great music life. I have toured in several bands and do studio work for a living now. I also teach children how to play music because i think music has great mind powers to help them learn and be better people. And i can honeslty say that i have a few 12 year old kids in my class that could stomp this guy from sum 41! How about you? Can you read music? If not maybe i could get ya in my class!

17. I agree. We should not feel resentment towards a fellow bass player just because he makes it, and doesn’t seem to be the grooviest cat in the bunch. I honestly can play Sum41 bass lines, and without a pick. But, that does not make me better than him, or give me the right to bash him and so on. Yes, there are great players in this web community who deserve a chance at stardom. However, we can’t all make it. Luck and circumstance are major factors. Times are hard now. In the 60s, you needed to look like the Beatles. 70s, you had to play Led Zep style hard rock. 80s saw the emergence of Hair Metal. In the 90s, hip-hop took over, alternative bands saw light, and punk rock or pop punk was born. In every era, you needed to follow the leaders to get to the top. But, there were always exceptions. There were those who did not follow the giants, and made their own mark in history. Many bands who stayed away from mainstream became popular in every era. Best example, Iron Maiden.

My point is that Cone and Sum41 are part of a movement. There are lots of bands like them. However, the underground produces great artists also. But, it’s rare to see them get to the top, because, they are under ground.

I might have written too much and made no sense at all, but my goal is to state that “you can’t always get what you want”. Cone did. Sum41 did. And honestly, they deserve it. They worked hard to craft their music, whether you like it or not. Most of us here won’t reach far. The only thing I wish for all of us is to be happy, and play bass for the love of it.

Don’t forget. Everyone has their own opinion. I love to hear different views from different people. That’s the whole point of this forum.

Sorry again for blabbering…:oops:

18. I agree, but you don't have to whine about it. There are tons of people here who have more talent that Cone (and bassists from other bands too). But that doesn't matter because who becomes famous depends on who can sell records. So be happy with the fact that you can play better than him, but don't complain that he made it big and there are better musicians who didn't.

19. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    agree, but you don't have to whine about it. There are tons of people here who have more talent that Cone (and bassists from other bands too). But that doesn't matter because who becomes famous depends on who can sell records. So be happy with the fact that you can play better than him, but don't complain that he made it big and there are better musicians who didn't.

I didnt whine! I was stating a fact! I could care less who makes it in music! I have very little respect for bands on the radio these days! Bands like sum 41 r just ear candy. The word craft and sum 41 is just silly to me! I am not really bashing them! I would just like it more if he actually spent some time trying to learn the bass instead of just putting together ideas he has heard from other bands that sound just like his! As far as whining because he is on the radio i dont do that! I like the fact that they r on the radio! Because them and several other bands or jokes that my band mates have fun with! And mainly i was talking about the way you slammed me for my opinion with a childesh remark about my grammer! I got that alot back in the 3rd grade hehehe. I skipped alot of classes in school so i could play bass in the band room!

I agree. We should not feel resentment towards a fellow bass player just because he makes it, and doesn’t seem to be the grooviest cat in the bunch. I honestly can play Sum41 bass lines, and without a pick. But, that does not make me better than him, or give me the right to bash him and so on. Yes, there are great players in this web community who deserve a chance at stardom. However, we can’t all make it. Luck and circumstance are major factors. Times are hard now. In the 60s, you needed to look like the Beatles. 70s, you had to play Led Zep style hard rock. 80s saw the emergence of Hair Metal. In the 90s, hip-hop took over, alternative bands saw light, and punk rock or pop punk was born. In every era, you needed to follow the leaders to get to the top. But, there were always exceptions. There were those who did not follow the giants, and made their own mark in history. Many bands who stayed away from mainstream became popular in every era. Best example, Iron Maiden.

there is a huge diff! In the 70s you had talent! You had to have talent to be in a famous rock band! Hair bands had talent as well! Alternative bands had talent for the most part! Iron maiden has talent! Sum 41 doesnt have much! Thats my only point here. The reason is most people dont care about talent in there music! Most people r not musicians! Thats why rap, pop, dance, and that junk makes it! As far as the under ground scene goes thats were i live! As i grew as a musican my need for great music grew stronger every day. And the stuff on the radio just went down the toilet. So thats when i decided to listen to the underground stuff. But every now and then a good band gets a hit and its wonderfull to see these people that dont understand music get a chance to enjoy the real thing. For example dave mathews band is a very talented band that we can use the word CRAFT for. So is phish. But i cant listen to them on the radio or mtv because i will here a song like DMB and then they will go to a sum 41 song and i just giggle. So thank god for XM radio!

20. Eric, you're right. I probably should have mentioned the talent factor. That’s the thing missing with today’s popular bands. You can’t compare them to artists in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Maybe they are lazy. Who knows? Do you realize that last great, popular, radio friendly, talented rock band was Guns N’ Roses? Nirvana changed all of that. Although Nirvana is an exception, the ones who followed made it ok to be marginal. It became acceptable to repeatedly play root notes. However, this doesn’t mean the music was bad also. Just the essence of rock started to die. That spirit and emotion we have from listening to Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Rush, etc. is gone. Thank God for bands like the Strokes because they are trying to revive the spirit, but again, their stuff is light years away from classic rock.

On a final note, we don’t all have to like everything. You don’t like Sum41 and Cone. Excellent. I probably won’t like some of the stuff you’re in. But, I don’t think they suck. The thing with that band is that they try. That’s why I think if they get their act together, work extremely hard, they may, in a few years, come up with a legitimate metal album. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t listen to them. I don’t own any CDs. But I absolutely don’t mind them. Their music is for people who don’t care about the essence of music. Sum41 makes them feel good. They have fun with it. It’s catchy. It’s juvenile. It’s fun.