1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Confessing my new love for the EADGBE machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I'm a bassist. I was never a frustrated guitarist who gave it up for two less strings. However, it seems like I have always gravitated towards music written and performed by the great guitarists (Holdsworth, Metheny, Grant Green, Wes, Rosenwinkel, Krantz, etc). I also have seemed to wind up working with alot of guitar players for some reason. Maybe I was a frustrated guitarist and didn't know it....anyway. I love low freqs and have spent too much time figuring out this bass thing to switch teams now. However...

I went out last week and got an Ibanez S-470 to play around with. I think I am becoming massively addicted to it. Fortunately I haven't broken any strings because I would be SOL (thanks Floyd Rose!). It's just a fun challenge to try and work your way around that weird B string and learn some new fingerboard geometry. It's also pretty satisfying to hear some new sounds out of these old fingers.

At any rate, I thought I'd confess these transgressions and see if there were any other bassists out here who discovered a little love for the EADGBE.

Mods, feel free to pull this if you just find it offensive :D :D :D

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My daughter had to learn some songs on her plastic recorder for one of those school recitals. I sat by her and helping and encouraging her, and played them for her occasionally to demonstrate better tone & timing to her.

I taught myself; "Doe-Ra-Me" while she watched. I still mess with it.

It's all good.

3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Traitor!

... I actually quite enjoy the cheesecutter myself. Though, it is a pain to get used to the B.

4. Guitar has been my main instrument for years, no shame with it.

I'm actually ::this:: close to scoring a JCM 900 SL-X. I'm also hardcore GASing for both a Fender Jaguar and a Mosrite right now and I don't know why

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

... been listening to nirvana or sonic youth or something?

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    No worries. I love playing guitar as much as I love playing bass. :bag:

7. nirvana :bag:

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I mangle a guitar now and then myself.

9. me too :)

mainly because i can't seem to find a guitar player to play with, so i just took it up myself :)

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like guitars. I just don't have any practical use for one right now. I do at times get cozy with my Ovation and play it every know and then.

I would like to devote more time to the guitar but I'm just to busy playing bass and drums.

I still enjoy playing bass much more though.

11. Guitar is great fun. I have a Schecter PT series guitar (it's gold, a hideous guitar) that plays great and sounds decent. I like kicking on the distortion and rocking out. It's not so easily done on bass.

If I had a drum set and a place to play it, I would do that quite a lot, too. Bass, however, is my favorite. I've certainly invested more time and money into bass than guitar.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I love writing on guitar and being able to rely on ym ear to work out ideas because I'm in foreign land when I play guitar. I actually write almost all of my music on guitars and then come up with all the other parts. Showing the guitar parts to some guitar players leaves them completely flabbergasted, I have very interesting technique =).....but it sounds good.

On an interesting side note, My '67 danelectro convertible run through a fulltone bassdrive to my aguilar db750 adn into a gs210 is quite a flattering sound!

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I too have a guitar.

It feels weird because it’s a leftie. I am a leftie but I play right hand bass (it was hard to retrain myself but I did it). Now left handed instruments feel slightly weird to me. Weird huh?