1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Confession, don't judge me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, May 5, 2015.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I have nine different American Fenders including a Select P, a Dimension Deluxe HH V, a Jaguar and a Jazz. I also have a 1995 EBMM Stingray.

Today I was playing my Walnut 4003 and I realized that I haven't touched another bass for almost a month. The Rickenbacker has been getting all of my love.

Wow.

Tbone76 and CGremlin like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is the Ricky the most recent purchase?

I smell Honeymoon.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nothing wrong with that. I think everyone with multiple basses generally goes through such "phases".

Jon Moody likes this.
  4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Well, maybe it is a honeymoon period, but maybe not.

I got it at the end of February and it spent March in regular rotation with the usual suspects. (My Precisions...) I didn't make a conscious decision to stop picking up the P-basses all throughout April and so far into May. I just realized today that I haven't been playing them.

I guess that time will tell. Of course, I have another RIC on order, this time a 4003SW. We'll see what happens when THAT gets here.

:D

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I don't think that is so unusual...certainly not a "problem." It's what you are most enjoying and having fun with at the time (and what a super instrument to bond with so!)

This is kind of the reason I went in a more minimalist direction (also I had to sell off most of my stuff for financial reasons, then I lost a bunch more in a flood....)

At one point I had 9 basses...not a lot compared to people here who have dozens, but at that time I also had dozens of effects pedals, recording equipment, tons of amp gear, a small collection of old analog synths, a fleet of electric guitars, a couple of drum sets and numerous acoustic guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles, etc.

I found that I got to the point where 98% of my playing time was divided between one old P bass and an ancient Gretsch acoustic. I had a new baby and one on the way and due to working 2 full time jobs then, and because I had stopped gigging, I sold nearly everything. I don't miss much of any of it.

My main regret is that I sold most of this stuff off around 1999-2000, to some degree just before the vintage market really exploded. I got what I felt were good deals selling my '65 and '73 Telecasters, my '64 Strat, every bass I owned that wasn't a passive 4-stringer, assorted Gibson and Martin acoustic instruments, etc...

But if I had held onto all that stuff for another 3-4 years, I probably could have doubled my cash haul...

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Makes perfect sense to me. I'd be playing the Rick too!