Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    HA! This is truly defiant. :D Check him out some time but, like I said, there are things about him I could give or take.

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I can't stand Victor Wooten's tone....there... I said it.

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I can't stand relic'ed basses.:bag:

I hate jazz width necks.:bag::bag:

I don't care for ebony or rosewood boards.:bag::bag::bag:

4. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Oh you are so wrong, not only am I in an original music band I am a singer /songwriter and was an artist years ago.I just have my ideas and views on creativity as do you.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  5. lel95

lel95

May 14, 2010
    sunderland, UK
    i HATE those single-cut custom basses

i use more treble than bass

i hate anything over 4 strings

i hate chrome hardware

i only use a pick

i would rather listen to Duff McKagan than Jaco (such a risky think to say on TB)

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I used to own a 6 string bass. A girl on YouTube said that if you play more than 4 strings. Then you are a guitarist. I somehow agree.

I don' t like 6 stringers. 5 string bass are okay. :ninja:

Friedrich

7. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    Almost all 5 and 6 string basses are aesthetically unpleasing to me (borderline ugly). I just find 4 stringed basses to be much nicer.

I never liked Jaco's tone (or anytime someone is soloing the neck pickup on a jazz).

I couldn't care less about quilted or flame tops. Good for me, because that means that I'd save money in buying a bass.

As soon as I see a bass solo involving tapping, I usually stop watching the video. It sounds unpleasant.

8. ghiadub

ghiadub

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I roll my tone all the way off.

Billyzoom and Oldschool94 like this.
  9. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I do that too. One of my favourite tones!

10. I'm a student who's not dirt poor and I spend a completely ridiculous amount of money on bass gear despite not being in a band that's really active :atoz:.

11. I don't find Fender basses particularly Aestheticaly pleasing, especially the headstock Must be a proportional thing as I'm only 5ft 7.

I don't care for the VVT passive setup.

Pino Palladino's last 2 decades have been too restrained for me.

Jaco's tone is far from my favorite Fretless tone but I happen to be listening and enjoying him while I type this.
    Though nothing close to Jaco's Jazz tone, I never play my Wal with the bridge pickup isolated.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I don't want a big, loud, chest pumping amp. I am quite happy with a little combo.

13. I don't know how I didn't notice it before but this entire thread looks like one big bashfest. Not your fault, nocontrols, it just looks like some folks can't help themselves.

14. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I think the bass sound and lines on the first several Kiss records (through Alive II at least) are fantastic. Whether Gene wrote and played them or not, I think that's fine rock bass playing.

I like playing dorky instruments.

I don't really hate so much, just avoid if I can.

15. I hate Tort pickguards, I have never owned nor plan to acquire a Fender, I have no beefs about my guitarists volume, I know what the best bass for metal is, but I'm not telling.

16. I don't lust for super expensive coffee table custom basses.

I don't care how you make your bass make noise... Pick, fingers, thumb, tongue, whatever.

If you sound good you are good, regardless of the training you've received.

I don't really like funk very much, though some of it is pretty good.

Big amp + big cab = big tone & you can't get that with a little amp + little cab.

I dislike keyboards in rock and especially metal settings.

I don't care for 5+ string basses.

You can have Geddy Lee and Chris Squire. I'll take Lemmy and Watt.

17. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    +2,000,000

18. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    :D

19. RufusSPatches

RufusSPatches

Apr 1, 2011
    -I can't play anything with Peavey or Ibanez style necks for more than a few minutes without my hands aching.
    -I really don't care for the sound of anything Peavey, amp or instrument.
    -I will never part with my simple Yamaha BB604, I WILL be buried with it if none of my future children become serious musicians.
    -my fiance had a sexual dream about Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden, and I wasn't mad or jealous (well maybe of her...that man can play!)

20. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Call me anything you'd like except late for dinner! :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021