Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    This does not seem odd to me.

2. Jerry Callo

Jerry Callo Inactive

May 23, 2011
    I agree. And it's rare that I consider a bass tone that's genuinely lousy, but he's got one.

3. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    I think that the best bass tone comes from mudbuckers, and that everything else is too bright, growly or trebly to be considered bassy.

4. nazroth

nazroth

Apr 11, 2005
    tulsa oklahoma
    354 stage light& sound
    I am the norm only because thats my name:D

5. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    Slapping is hugely overused. It works well in a couple of contexts but sounds ludicrously out-of-place in many others. I've heard guys slap on ballads, which should be a capital (ya lose your bass/basses forever and have to roadie for lead guitarists and fetch beer for the drummer) offense.

Mediocre Fenders are just that. Paying thousands of $$$ for a run of the mill 1970s Fender is like tearing up money and using it to line the cat box. I was there. The good ones were few and far between.

Simple is NOT always better, in playing style or bass construction technique. But sometimes it is.

That factory made "relic" basses can be made and profitably sold is proof that Barnum was right.

Single cut basses are ugly beyond my ability to describe and I don't care what Anthony Jackson has to say about that subject.

The old-school "lightning" Peavey logo, which I presume is still around, makes anything it is attached to look like a joke. Anything and everything.

6. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Ooops. Was not the intent.

Wow... tell us your secret.

7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    - I don't think John Entwistle is a great player. I love the Who, but he is just an ok player...same with John Paul Jones....and Bonham on the drum side of things as well...
    - I also am not impressed with all of the frilly, flame top single cut madness that is out there
    - anything more than a 4x10 is too much for me
    - anything more than a power amp and a decent pre-amp is too much for me amp-wise

8. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't care for more than 4 strings, my one bass with a 5th string is just a bouncy thumb rest.

A simple groove is better than any flashy stuff to me.

I don't like P basses and I hate double P's...that's just too ugly for me.

Stingray's are too bright for me.

I hate the shape of Bongo's...they look like toilet seats.

I do not want a Fodera, but I do want a Fedora.

Not a fan of flatwounds, yet... ;)

I sometimes play with a pick and I don't see it as an inferior style (Bobby Vega anyone?)

9. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Strange thread....
    I use 18" speakers, not many folks use those.

10. I think more than 5 strings is just ridiculous.

I can't slap all that well, and I don't care one bit.

I really can't stand those guys that only slap with their thumb because they think it makes them louder. Learn how to do it right!

I hate 8x10's, and not even because they are heavy but because I think they are overkill for most situations.

I've heard a noticeable difference between a 1x15 and 4x10, and I prefer a 15 because it is LESS punchy.

I dislike Jaco's tone. Sure he's talented, but how about some highs and lows.

Those guys that solo over an entire song annoy the crap out of me. Get in the pocket and stay there except for rare occasions.

I don't care for single cut basses, even those high end ones that supposed to be so awesome.

I secretly judge guys that play Squires or other low end basses...

11. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    SX gang in 5 ... 4..... 3......

12. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    1. I do not like natural finished basses, in general.

2. I kinda feel that the norm is a passive P or J, which I do not particularly care for, particularly the J. I like my active tone. I do own a PJ though.

3. Always dial more bass than treble.

13. I'm really just lucky I suppose. I have no obligations or bills and every summer I've managed to find a decent paying job (still looking for one this summer). Most of it I save but whatever I spend goes toward some hobby or another.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i like hearing an average bassist "OWN that root note" over some, full of themselves, virtuoso solo.... even for 5min.

15. I play for free - maybe a beer afterwards or a steak - but no money at all. I know that wrinkles the noses of some people here when they can't get paying gigs and I am being called all the time. I really don't care if that bothers some people - music to me is a hobby and not one I will sully for financial considerations.

I received my musical talents for free; I play with the same reasoning.

If I dislike where a band is going or new rules are brought up that I don't like, I just pack up my toys and walk out. I don't have to prove myself to anyone and at my age, the less anger that is generated, the better.

I refuse to play with anyone who is both macho and paranoid.

The nearest I get to any slap is playing The Commodores or Sly & The Family Stone. Other than that, slap really gets boring in quick time.

I know that Watts are where it's at and I don't ever use a PA except for my harmonicas or vocals.

I don't care if my favorite combo weighs 71 lbs - sound quality and performance makes it a necessity.

I know that wood means nothing more than a convenient place to screw on the neck and the bridge.

I believe that Tort is the greatest looking PG in the world.

I know that chrome ash trays and covers are crowd pleasers and they don't get in the way of a real bass player.

I also believe that if it doesn't say Fender or Ibanez on the headstock or have the big bulb head design, it is better as a canoe paddle. Ibanez heads are the only exception.

I believe that a used bass or amp/combo/cab is used and all the new is gone and I won't own it unless it's just a piece of hardware I need.

I am working on my invention for holding and playing my trombone while letting me play my bass at the same time.

Those are some of the basic reasons why I am different - since you asked.

Billyzoom likes this.
  16. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    - I have no interest in using effects other than an occasional volume pedal.
    - I like my tone deep and fat. Bass is the bottom instrument. Never turn on a tweeter, though I do like punchy mids.
    - Four strings are enough for me, though I admire anyone who can make sweet music with an extended range bass.

17. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    I'm a bassist who is primarily a drummer (playing both almost as long, 40 years for bass vs. 42 years for drums). I insist on locking with the drummer and playing the correct bass line for the tune, as simple or complex as it may be, and strictly avoid "diarrhea of the fingers", using a few melodic runs and passing tones here and there as "seasoning", not as the whole meal. My bass is an ordinary MIK '83 Fender P-Bass Special strung with Fender flats. I hate active basses and "overdone" bass amps. I can also read and write music and have complete and thorough knowledge of the fretboard, along with an ear for good tone and in-depth knowledge of my gear (a byproduct of being a serviceman in this business). I also strive for good technique, especially of my fretting hand. I cringe when I see bassists wrap their thumb around the neck! :eyebrow:

I think this makes me just a bit unique, and my barometer is the thousands of gigs over the years I've done as a DRUMMER in the NY area, and having to put up with far too many bassists who had NO clue about tone, restraint, taste, written music and in two instances, even where the notes were on the fretboard. I always swore that if I played bass in a band again, I would NOT be any of those things. Now, as a bassist in a working band, I am keeping my promise to myself.

18. woaheasylang

woaheasylang

Feb 11, 2009
    - i was once a man
    - i was once a girl too

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm not a bass player, so that separates me the most from other bass players.

20. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I refuse to be that bass plr playing the root note of guitar based music...especially if it's a non-original chord progression. Like in blues... My lines are melodic. That's because I am/was a trumpet player first and I listen to allot of classical music. Orchestral bass parts are melodic. I'm totally literate on trumpet but all I know on bass are the 4 open strings and that's just so I can access TB as a non member. And I'd rather dig ditches than play in a cover band. Oh, I only liked one Fender Jazz I tried years ago, otherwise they aren't even a consideration. (I play a Schecter Studio)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021