Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I never knew there was a bass player norm.

2. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    My feet don't sweat.

3. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    I love Soul, Funk, Jazz, and Reggae but only get a kick from playing Rock.
    I think players slapping there way through Oasis songs isn't just music but installation art.
    I can't compress and eq through technique

4. GAPendragon

GAPendragon

Jun 6, 2011
    UK
    All I can think of that might be a little unusual is that I get GAS for basses, but not for amps or pedals. Well. One single pedal.

5. -I like semi-hollow body basses.
    -I don't like Victor Wooten's tone, I respect his technique and attention he calls to bass players.
    -I don't like Fenders, while liking Fenders
    -Single cut basses make no sense to me
    -Don't like Ampeg
    -I love melodic bass lines, can't stand root/five playing
    -Hate old basses and don't understand why people spend lots of $ on old crap.

6. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    I love to practice. I love to practice my scales, arpeggios, circle of fourths. I love to come up with new ways to practice scales. I don't have a clue how to or why to alternately tune.

7. yep

8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Everyone thinks they are different and special. We're all the same. Addicted to TB. Shut that damn computer off and practice!

9. Never have, never will

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have but don't care to any more. I have a nice Geddy Lee for sale.

11. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    I hate round wound strings. I just can't stand the wash of overtones that you get when you play aggressively like I do. Give me a bass strung with TI's or pyramids any day.

12. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Never owned a fender. Never owned a four string. Not planning on owning either in the foreseeable future.
    also:
    I'm terrible at slap, the only slap line I've mastered is "angel is a centerfold". I'm fine with that.
    and I love my Dean5.

13. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Big slap bass guy here. I don't do it to impress anybody, it's just been something I've really liked since getting into Stanley Clarke in the 80's.

I also don't mind that people hate it and find it annoying. I don't like everything either.

14. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    I do not consider myself a "Bassist" but rather a ".string instrumentalist" I own 23 instruments and play them all-extended range guitars-baritones,4,5,6,7,8,10,12 string basses-I look for a particular sound and decide if I need more thick strings or thin and then reach for an instrument-guitar or bass-electric or acoustic.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I generally prefer to make "spaceship" noises with my bass rather than traditional sounds.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I still think this thread should be titled "Why I'm Awesome And You Suck."

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    BAHAHAHH!!!

18. I've never owned a dedicated bass cab, I've always used 3-way PA cabs.
    The one time i've tried an ampeg it sounded like someone had covered my amp with a blanket...

19. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    This thread is awesome. It's like the entire internet boiled down and neatly packaged into one TB thread. And it's still going.

20. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I hate fender basses, to me, they just seem so un-interesting.
    I use guitar techniques on bass, like flamenco slapping and pinch harmonics.
    I like to overplay for my band's songs because it makes it more fun for me :p
    I like my tone as bright as I can possibly get it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021