Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    I find the Fender Precision bass to be very uncomfortable and difficult to play, and I think it feels cheap.

2. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I play for me exclusively, if you happen to be there so much the better. A relic bass is akin to a drug store cowboy or someone lying about their military service, if the player & the instrument didn't earn it than its just wrong. I love Jaco's playing & the tone, I've never seen anyone more in love with their instrument and dig what he produced. When I see someone playing a Squier, I ask them questions & try to help them grow as a player if they are just starting out. I live to play & have a good life today. I look at a Fedora & immediately diregard because if its unobtainable why get GAS for it?

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I listen to everyone else in the band and play off of them.

4. FrettFretless

FrettFretless

Jan 2, 2013
    instead of an overdrive pedal, I use my eq pedal to boost my signal into my wah to the point of the wah circuit clipping... Not always, but it's good when you need an extreme tone

5. Playing rock music is super boring for me 19 out of 20 times.

I think tone is in my fingers and am convinced that I can make virtually any bass or rig sound like me.

I have no idea what kind of strings I play, and no matter which ones go on my basses, it hardly makes any difference to me. The one exception is of course flats/rounds.

I don't think most bass players spend nearly enough time on the mental side of music.

I think Flea, and John Paul Jones and Geddy are really good. But, I know players that would really command the respect of all of those guys.

I saw Primus 6 months ago. Yawn. Jamming over 1 chord on every song bores me to death.

6. I am terrified to buy a new bass.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've never owned a Fender bass. (Though I do own two Fender guitars!)

I've never really cared about the playing of James Jamerson, Carol Kaye, and all those other pioneer sorts from the early days that others hold in high regard. Though it's entirely possible I've been influenced by players who had been influenced by them. ;)

I have no problem with synth bass. I'll play something else "non-bassy" higher up on the neck. I have higher strings and higher frets and I ain't 'fraid ta use 'em!

I guess that's it, I can't think of anything else about me that would make other bassists look at me funny! (Edited to add: well, one more "shocking" thing: I have zero GAS these days. That's just weird, I admit it!)

8. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I heard Jaco in person on many occasions and loved his tone. Totally appropriate for the music. Flabby rolled off bass tones don't cut it for jazz, gotta have that percussive attack.

9. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Can't stand the sound of slap.
    Never have and never will own a Fender. :eek:

And to reply to the OP I'll go out on a limb and say that effect pedals for bass are a total waste of time, money, and effort. For me!

10. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm;

I read through this thread & I thought about this for a while. I finally concluded that I'm not different from the norm, and most of you aren't either.

My thought is that bass players as a whole are a little more accepting of new ideas, new technology, different styles, and different gear.

So, the "the Bass Player Norm" is a very broad & diverse group. I'm not saying there are NOT some who are outside the norm, but they have to be pretty different to be considered unique. It's not all that unique to dislike slap style or dislike Fender basses. Both of those stances actually seem to be pretty common.

If you see someone who plays the bass with their feet, or plays their bass with a slide on all songs, you're probably seeing someone outside the norm, but if you see a player without a Fender who doesn't slap, and doesn't use effect pedals, are you going to be fascinated by their uniqueness?

In fact, if you asked this same question at the right point in time, those who LIKED slap and used effects pedals would be the ones outside the norm. Those who played 5 strings or used 410 cabinets would be outside the norm.

Have you met anyone lately who refused to use a computer? They used to be common.....25 years ago.

11. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    I have owned only one bass for 17 years (when i started) and it's worth less than 300$.... (though i do plan to finally buy a second one before the end of the year). Same for my amp. Well except it was worth more like 600 i think. But i've had the same for all this time. I've never heard any complaints about my gear and while i could possibly have a better sounding bass, i've never really had issues with the tones i got from it.

I (obviously considering the above) don't have GAS

I think 95% of basses are ugly. I hate wood grain, very asymetrical basses or basses with pretty wild shapes (like most custom mades), sunburst, tort pickguards,gold hardware, and absolutely do not care to ever own a Fender except maybe a Jaguar which is the only one look wise that I could possibly see myself owning. I basically tend to like basses if they look more like a guitar and for this reason most of the basses i like the look of are shorter scale...

I do not care for the vast majority of popular bassists or their tones. In fact possibly all of them (Geddy Lee, Jaco, Claypool, Mccartney, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Wooten, Flea, etc etc). Well I guess in the say 12 most popular names that always pop up here possibly only Enstwistle i kinda like. His 60's 70's stuff anyway. I still don't own a Who record though.

This one is not really outside the norm since that's probably 50% of bassists but i play with a pick and do not like finger picking tones.

This is more of a musician in general thing than bassist but I much prefer writing and recording songs than performing live...though i suppose if i'd made it and had great crowds, i might change my mind...still i don't know, playing the same songs over and over gets boring to me fast...i like creating a lot more. That's what make me feel fulfilled.

12. adk teleman

adk teleman

Aug 28, 2011
    Alex Bay NY
    Spector Basses, La Bella Strings
    I play only Fender basses...why? Because I love them
    I play Fender Bass amps...just love the tone
    I don't obsess about being loud. I play out with anywhere from a 150 Combo to a 350 watt combo.
    I hate heads and cabinets. I love combos

13. Cmymud

Cmymud

Oct 19, 2009
    Prince George, VA
    I've been playing a year and only play single note chords. Still have a long way to go

14. 1.) I like my cheap bass. I got an Ibanez with an amp I wanted off kijiji, set it up, strings are pretty much new, and the tone disgusts me. There's no highs at all from that Ibanez. It's awful. I thought a nice name brand bass would actually sound nice, but it's just all thud even with new-ish strings. The bass is now back on Kijiji.
    2.) I don't like huge string spacing. My 15mm suits me just fine thank you. I play, including slap, much better on the skinny spacing.
    3.) Don't like basses that look like Fender basses. That black and white just rubs me the wrong way.
    4.) I don't like pickguards. My fingers aren't going to scratch my finish.

15. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    I became the bass player because my guitar playing was not good enough to land a spot in a paying band.

16. 1. I hate that almost every bass comes in black, white, or sunburst. I like colors. The bass is a colorful instrument and bassists are colorful people and the instrument should reflect that. I've redone basses for that reason alone.

2. I think Fender bridges are the cheapest, most POS thing ever put on a musical instrument. Even Leo figured that out.

3. I don't like Jaco. At all.

4. I think most boutique basses are widely overpriced. As someone who has worked with metal and electronics for quite a bit of my career, a "name" pre-amp in a bass doesn't impress me. I could have one of my students build one twice as nice for less than $100. <- No joke.

5. I don't like slap. I don't think it's musical and doesn't support the instrument's role, which I believe Aston Barrett summarized so well: "In music, the bass is the backbone."

6. Fender basses in the CBS era (65ish to 85ish) are crap. I don't care how much you paid for yours or how you think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Back in the day, we all knew they were crap, but now some of us are happy to sell them for way more than we would ever consider buying them for (or would be paid to play one) when they were new.

7. I think Ibanez basses from the 80s and early 90s are probably (in terms of QC and tone) some of the best electric bass instruments ever built.

17. That's so funny. I can show you spectrum analyzer data from Class D amps. You should probably get your ears checked.

18. I love Rickenbacker basses and I don't like Rush. I also generally don't like much Rock music. I am mostly a Jazz, Post-Punk, Classical, Serial, and Post-Rock kind of person. It's complicated.

19. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I like pointy basses.

I play a lot of fuzz bass with chords and bends and basic wailing.

I only play with a pick.

I find slap bass horrid.

I detest jazz. All the jazz guys that get so much love around here do nothing for me.

I dislike those quiet virtuoso solos where everyone is just sitting there watching the bassist play a mellow three part harmony version of amazing grace or whatever.

I don't want a micro anything in my rig.

I hate any speakers smaller than 12" and generally prefer 15".

I think Peavey is some of the best bass equipment you can buy.

:D

20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    THIS

The only thing that puts me outside the "norm" is that I am right handed but play bass left handed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021