Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. I don't own a Fender. I have tried them, but they seem very hit and miss.
    I don't like 'natural' finish basses. They look like furniture. That, my friends, does not rock. I need a little flash....a little flair, not a coffee table. Ibanez sr505. Liked the way it played, but it is brown. What else is brown....?

2. BlackThursday

BlackThursday

Mar 17, 2013
    I have absolutely zero chops or ideas, but I compensate by focusing on putting the right note...in the right place...at the right... ... ... ..time. Well, sometimes it works.

I will decline to gig with any musician who wears a backward Kangol cap, sunglasses, and a goatee, or who refers to other musicians as "cats," no matter how much said gig pays.

I can't help but to laugh out loud--really--when I see someone playing one of those preposterous single-cutaway boutique coffee tables, no matter how good the player is.

I really don't give a [expletive-deleted] what other bassists think about my playing, tone, gear, etc. and...

I don't think other bassists should give a [expletive-deleted] about what I think.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not so outside-the-norm after all.

3. 1. I prefer weird vintage basses to brand-spanking new million dollar basses
    2. The guitarist always tells me to turn down my volume :)
    3. I play more than just roots and 5ths

4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Inactive

Jan 30, 2014
    I tend to learn the songs a band gives me to practice inside and out. I want them to know they can look to me for reference if they're screwing up the song.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm part unicorn and none of the good parts trust me.

6. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Nov 19, 2013
    UK
    I'm not sure if I could bring myself to spend £1000 or more on a bass. Sure, I see all these boutique exotic wood things, and they look great and sometimes sound even better, but you can get a perfectly useable, good sounding bass for £300, and maybe swapping out the pickups is the most you'd need to do to make it sound that little bit better. The most I've spent so far was £500 on an SR505, and it was such a massive leap compared to my old Aria IGB that it might as well have been a boutique custom shop bass in that situation.

7. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    Hmmm...might explain why, as i stated in my confession, i've stuck with one instrument all my playing life. A bottom of the line Ibanez...from that period.

here's another confession, probably because of my GASlesness, i know next to nothing about gear. In fact, i hate gear. I mean, you need it unfortunately, but i hate twiddling with knobs and messing about with cables. I like my setup as simple as possible. I inherited some gear when my grandad passed last year and i haven't used some of it yet because i'm not sure what needs to be plugged where and into what....did i mention ive been playing for 17 years? I want a bass in my hand, an amp to plug in, and some EQ i (begrudgingly) will mess with until i find my tone. Then i just want to play. The gear aspect of playing music bores the **** out of me.

I thought post punk and post rock (despite the name) fit in the large umbrella genre that is rock.... I guess you mean rock as in classic rock or like radio rock? I mean down the line most of us are playing rock...the rest is just subgenres.

8. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I play guitar and enjoy doing so. I also really appreciate what guitarists bring to the table.

I don't find it hard at all to get a tone I like and I'm happy with. I also don't find the need to have an amazing, original tone no ones ever heard.

I couldn't care less about having any unique gear.

I couldn't care less if someone uses a pick or not, or both

I never buy new instruments and have no need for one to be mint or in good cosmetic condition

I openly admit I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to technical specs or anything like that, and don't pretend to be

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I've played hundreds of different bass guitars over the course of my life, and found that with most of them, I was easily able to play them well, and make them sound good.

I very much dislike sunburst finishes, tort pick guards (and most pick guards, for that matter), flat wound strings, and rosewood finger boards.

I much prefer natural finishes, white pick guards (or no pick guard), round wound strings, and maple finger boards.

That said, put any bass in my hands and I'm happy.

In 45 years of playing bass, I've never played a bass with more than 4 strings and have no desire to do so.

I like Rickenbacker 4001/3 and Fender Precision basses the best, in that order.

I very much dislike "relic" finishes. I'll do my own relicing, thank you.

I like Jaco. but think that Tal is better. Yet, I listen mostly to progressive rock. Chris Squire and Greg Lake are my Heros. Jon Camp is no slouch either.

I mostly play with a pick. I think those people who have issues with that are just jealous that I can play faster and have better tone than them.

I regret selling pretty much every instrument and amp that I've ever sold, and have resolved to become an instrument/amp pack rat.

10. mancefine

mancefine

Jul 7, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I think Spectors are the best basses made but strongly dislike Warwicks. Especially their strings. It's like playing on razor wire.

I HATE having a huge rack with a bunch of crap in it, and I hate 12 band eq's. I like a very simple and powerful amp, hence I play Orange.

I love pedals and experimenting (which is ironic because of my disdain for compressors and eq's as mentioned above), and hate the notion that bassists shouldn't have any

I could never play without a big rig behind me. Well I could, but methinks I'd hate it.

I can play faster with my fingers than most people can with a pick.

I'm terribly afraid where the rock and roll music scene is headed in the next 20 years. It's already become nearly impossible to "make it" for any band the past 10 years, and it's only getting worse.

Cannibal Corpse is the worst band I have ever seen or heard live.

I think people that don't like active basses because "I can't stand the thought of a battery in my bass" are ********.

11. I too am of the "Jaco was a fantastic player......but......not a big fan of the tone he achieved" school of thought....although I liked a lot of "Weather Report"'s stuff....

And the absolute ultimate blasphemy........( Gotta crouch behind the desk now as the tomatoes and veggies come flying......:bag:)........Geddy Lee:- great bassist...but....I don't own a Rush album and never will......can't stand his voice and every Rush song sounds just like the last one......

12. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    1) My cheapest bass is my favorite and if I ever sprung for an expensive bass, I'd probably be too afraid to touch it.

2) I'm more interested in holding down the bottom end rather than being an exhibitioner with extravagant, stand out bass lines. (Hey it worked for The Jimi Hendrix Experience).

3) I cannot sing, backup or any such.

4) I feel like the only female bass player that has little interest in pop and slap.

5) I'm not interested in effect pedals. I like the bass to sound like a bass.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I like everybody's tone. I like Jaco's tone, and I like JPJ's tone, and I like Geddy's tone, and I like Jamerson's tone. They are all different, and they are all GREAT.

I like everybody's bass. I like Fender Js and Fender Ps and Gibsons and Ricks. I like the fancy schmancy figured wood basses, coffee table basses, singlecut basses; they are all GREAT.

I think a lot of the players on this forum overthing the concept of playing bass. The main thing is, play something GOOD that serves the song. If the song calls for high-flying, crazy hard busy lines, then play that. If the song calls for playing the root, play that. Most songs are best served with something in between. I think the most tasteful player in Rock Music is Paul McCartney, because he played ambitious basslines that were musical, and rhythmic, without being overly technical.

I know very little about jazz. I know what I like, and when it sounds good, and consider myself less of a player than most of the people doing it.

I am an unapologetic ROCKER, who trained in Classical Music as a child. I think nothing ROCKS more than Beethoven, and I don't care how technically inaccurate that statement is, so shut up.

I play with my thumb on a thumbrest most of the time, and I use my middle and ring finger a lot of the time, because I seem to keep injuring my index. I can't get much out of my pinky.

I am not very tall, but I play a Fender Jazz bass, and if you don't like it, refer to my statement about Beethoven rocking.

I think most people are wankers, but who am I to judge?

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Dang this thread is back? It was a cool read. I went back and looked at my post of page one and still feel the same way as I did then.

15. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    I would never spend more then $600 on a bass. I own a Ric 4003 (what a deal!) and a Fender Jazz.

That being said I would drown a puppy and rape a nun to acquire a Ric 4080/6 double neck.

I HATE messing with my tone. I hate trying to EQ a room and just want to play, really. I would love to have a tech work all that sh*t out!

I enjoy singing and playing my midi pedals while I play bass. The busier I am the better. Love it!

16. Mute one

Mute one

Jan 30, 2014
    Hello all, here goes nothing

I am left handed but play right handed

I'm not interested in learning other peoples songs. I prefer to focus on my own writing and perfecting my style

Much to everyone's dismay, I can't stand the Beatles or Led Zepplin

In terms of gear, if it sounds and feels
    Good, I will play it. But
    My go to are fender and ibanez

I'm not a bass player who feels the need to learn and master every single scale. 9 out of 10 times if some makes a face at your lack of scale knowledge you ask them to show you how to use the scale they will go directly to playing the scale and I have to say no no, I said show me how to use it not pay it. Meaning show me a nice creative original groove.

My stage presence is way out there I feel what I play and I let it show. I don't hide behind the drummer and guitar player. Crazy and I throw down.

I can go on and on and on and on

But none the less, much love to all bass players and the preferences

17. ROBM700

ROBM700

May 28, 2013
    I don't like bass pedals or bass effects of any kind other than the basic settings on an amp.

18. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    I like going along with the guitar

I don't mind playing root notes

All of my basses are official 'slap-free zones'

19. Rio Chavez

Rio Chavez

Apr 13, 2013
    I think tort guards are absolutely ugly...

20. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada

Yes. I think i said in my post somewhere in this thread that i hate fiddling with knobs and eq's. I don't like the gear aspect of being a musician. Having to know about it, to mess with it. I would really rather just play or record without having to do any of this

An yeah like you id probably never spend more than 600$ on a bass. The truth is the basses i love are pretty much all around that price. Im poor but even if i wasnt, i dont see how i could ever justify spending above a thousand on a bass. And like someoene else said, i'd jsut be afraid to play it... I know because i inherited my grandfather's 67' Gretsch Nashville guitar and i love it but I play my squier strat about 20 times more often than the Gretsch....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021