Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    I have no clue what an Ohm is.
    No clue what a DI box does.
    Single cutaway basses look like $***.
    Look puzzled when guys have expensive basses with 8 knobs to play 12 bar blues.
    Never met a guy who plays a 7+ string bass that was normal.
    I think Flea is actually an outstanding bass player.
    My significant other has attended a grand total of 1, one, uno of my gigs...not exactly a bad thing..:smug:
    I don't know how anything on an amp, or bass works. I plug it in, if it doesn't work I watch TV.
    I really, honestly, have never played a 'rock' song that 99% of you bassists know. No Pearl Jam, Metallica, AC/DC. Kiss, Rush, etc..

THE BIG ONE
    :bag: I really don't like 'BASS' albums.:bag:

2. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I have a general disdain for most of you.

3. metron

metron Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I think most bass players are dedicated to their instruments. I am all about bass sounds as opposed to the instrument itself so I dont really care where the sound comes from. Synth bass specifically taurus pedals are the source of the most powerful bass sounds I have ever heard.

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    im a girl posing as chuck norris karate man? but his name was taken already

5. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    I can neither Slap nor Pop...and I could care less.
    I hated John Entwistles tone the last five years of his stellar career.(He was deaf and probably couldn't hear himself anyway!)
    I roll my tone all they way off.
    Jaco........meh

6. Violin is my first, and main instrument. I worked in symphony orchestras as a section, principal and solo player and can play veryveryvery high and fast, but when I play bass I keep it very simple.

I have a regular gig on bass, and usually play a 25 watt Fender amp, but tonight I will be using 2 svt410's and an svt 115 at the same gig with a big amp - played at low volume. (Featuring a B3 player tonight who wants to hear more bass, but I'm not about to injure the patrons with massive quantities of bass)

prefer 5 strings

1st bass guitar was a fretless Fender Jazz.

Have worked as a reed player in big bands and orchestras - non school related! and as a percussionist.

Own my own marimba.

If I sold all my sticks and mallets I could buy a very nice bass.

7. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island

+1 to points 1 and 2...
    I always looked at the higher end basses myself. I then got an OLP took it to my guitar guy for a set up and he could not stop singing the praises of it. Said it was the closest thing he has ever seen to a Stingray... at pretty much any price!!!!

as far as point 3 goes.... I actually never listened to Jaco... been meaning to but just never got around to it:bag:

8. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I am handsome!

9. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I concur...I concur!!!

He seemed like a cool guy though...and his playing was great...just wish he played those licks on a fretted bass with some slight overdrive!!

10. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    awwww...that's not nice! :crying:

:p

11. RaginRog

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    I like Warrant's "Cherry Pie"

Cool drink of water, such a sweet surprise!!

12. I don't like the Squier CV basses or EBMM basses. These seem to be some of the most popular basses on TB, but I don't like any of them.

13. Ursus Tyrannus

Ursus Tyrannus

Oct 9, 2010
    Apparently what separates me from the norm is I dont judge based on look, logo, style, type, or brand and I dont care what you think of me as a bass player when measured by look, logo, style, type or brand because I don't NEED no instructions to know how to ROCK!

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

14. I think what sets me outside of 'normal' bass players is that I absolutely move toward an elegant playing style. For me, strings hitting the fretboard as I play is unacceptable. I've read countless threads where people use the clanking of the strings on the fretboard as a 'punch through' method. Certainly not for me.

15. lel95

lel95

May 14, 2010
    sunderland, UK
    Man! You're not the only one! :D

16. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Different than most bass players or most TB'ers? For the former, probably that I was more influenced by non-bass players during my formative musical years. For the latter, it is because I gig regularly and actually have owned most of the instruments I express an opinion on :bag:

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Most bassists hate Jaco's tone and playing, prefer passive Fenders with a classic tone, dislike ear tearing highs, never slap and don't solo.
    What you guys are expressing here are mostly the standard bassist preferences that typically go against average TBer advice.

18. I don't slap
    and I do not need to play an expensive bass to sound good
    as long as it stays in tune and has 4 strings I can make it rock
    I am a metal player by heart but listen to only classical or jazz when enjoying music
    and I play in a Classic Rock band

19. raybone

raybone

Jul 14, 2006
    A.C Jersey
    - I think Ampeg makes better sounding guitar amps than bass amps.
    - I actually like the sound of my Peavey and fender Amps
    - I always "smile face" my EQ. If i want to "cut through", I just boost the master volume until I can here myself.
    - I make the drummer lock in with me.

20. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

- I don't think there is a wrong way to play your instrument. If it works for you, and it sounds good to you, you are golden. "F" the world.
    - I will never be as good a musician as I was an air guitarist from my childhood.
    - I have never played with a single "jazz" drummer that could keep time throughout a single song.
    - Somewhere along the way I become a better finger-picking guitar player than a Bassist... and it pisses me off.
    - I like heavy Basses and never found playing them at gigs "too much to take". I always thought that was part of the deal, just use a fat strap and rock on.
    -The only pick guards I like on basses are Tort pick guards on a white bass.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021