Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    I think it's OK for someone to prefer a brand that is not Fender.

OOD likes this.
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I don't mind playing cover music. My daughter sometimes needs emergency medical attention, and I love being able to call in a sub at the last minute. She's more important than any gig.

I like the band I'm in. I'd be friends with these guys even if we weren't in a band together. Good thing, too -- we gig almost every weekend, and those are mostly four hour gigs.

The gear I bring to a gig is worth more than the car I bring it in. That's fine by me. I don't mind driving an aging Subaru: it gets me where I need to go. My bass, OTOH is my one passion in life, and I could afford to get my "perfect bass," so I did. And it's not a vintage Fender, though my wife gave me the green light to buy one. I'd rather have my WL.

I have no desire to prove my manhood by lugging around a giant rig. I have no real desire to own an SVT stack. I don't want "more deep low end" as I've found that mostly muddies the sound out front.

I don't mind or worry about bringing a Sadowsky to a bar gig. I've done it hundreds of times, and can count on my hands the number of times someone has recognized the brand. The one time I brought a friend's vintage Fender it attracted a LOT of interest though. Too much.

3. I like to dry hump large, static objects; refrigerators, kitchen counters, couches, big women, etc.

What do I win?

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    A large static object. Your kitchen awaits...

5. llatikcuf

llatikcuf

Aug 24, 2007
    Sitting in the mix well
    -I'm a big fan of Adam Clayton and his mastery of the simple groove. (Bouns confession: I actually like the Pop album)

- I really dig the JE graphite/carbon fiber Buzzard Bass.

- A 300W 2x10 combo amp is all I really need, and I play some gigs with a smaller combo than that. I think it's stupid to haul a half stack into a small club gig.

6. I like behringer! And I honestly am not too fond of Fender. Ha. Im sure im gonna get some hate for that...

7. conqr

conqr

Feb 16, 2009
    I like GC, and slap, but especially slap happy whankers at GC - pure heaven :bag:

8. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    I can't stand playing Fender basses. I love their guitars, and i like the way some other people make them sound, but it pains me when others talk about how good a p bass sounds.

I dislike a distorted electric bass tone.

I have a soft spot for Gibsons.

I don't like when other people play my bass.

I do judge people with lower end instruments, but if they can play, i gladly change my opinion.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Every time somebody says, "it was good enough for Jaco," I say to myself, "99.9% of bass players, if they ever DID play like Jaco, they would have been kicked out of their band.":D

10. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    I play mostly with a pick.

I like to play Sabbath covers on a violin bass.

I hate green basses.

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    When I was first starting out I really disliked Fender and Ampeg - partially because I never played one that sounded good and partially because I didn't want to use the stereotypical gear that you see every* bassist play. For years I used other brands like Markbass, MusicMan, Warwick, SWR, Ibanez, Ashdown, Spector, etc... just to be different.

What do I use now? A MIA Fender P strung with flats through and Ampeg SVT-CL. Pure tonal bliss :D Funny how things work out sometimes, right? I guess this doesn't make me different. It makes me just like everyone else lol.

12. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I am incredibly picky when it comes to the design and construction of a bass... I can't bring myself to purchase a bass, no matter how cool or beautiful, that:

- the strings are not centered over the bridge (i'm looking at you EBMM! Seriously, it looks odd to me how they offset the bridge to center the strings on the neck, because the grooves are offset on the saddles... pleh!)

- The pickup poles are not centered with the strings (again, lookin' at you EBMM)

- The strings do not form straight, parallel lines over the nut to the tuning machine post. (This eliminates a serious number of basses from contention... I really want a Ric, but the strings pass over the nut at angles, and it's going to have to sound incredible and play just as well for me to get over that...:( )

Having said that, there have been exceptions. This list does wonders to help alleviate my GAS though... :D

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I play country and western.

14. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    1. I'll take a well made ibanez, greco, aria, or univox 70s lawsuit era bass over the real deal hands down. Saves a ton of money and I've owned both the real and the copies and they play about the same (its a case to case scenario)
    2. I like all the things michael manring, jeff schimdt do and appreciate and enjoy it greatly but have no intentions in trying to reach their level or style. I'm content with holding down like flea and david ellefson which is flashy to an extent but completely serving the song.
    3. I hate modern amps like genz benz and mark bass. Give me a vintage acoustic or tube amp anyday. The closest I've gotten to liking a modern amp was when I owned a gk1001rbII. I sold it though.
    4. I don't really get all the hype surrounding cliff burton. Robert Trujillo in my opinion is a far better player. Listen to some of his other stuff such as suicidal tendencies.
    5. I can appreciate pick style but hate playing it.

15. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    1) I think that a fantastic bass can be made almost anywhere, for sometimes next to nothing. I truly think that my MIM Jazz Bass that I paid $150 for used virtually as good as my beloved Rickenbacker, that I have had since '85 and paid $650 for even back then. My Epi Viola, made in Korea, is also a damn good instrument, and I have played some Squiers that have blown my mind.

2) Knowing all of this, I would still pay the going rate for a new Rick, or an American made Fender, even though I know I can get a bass virtually as good for much less.

3) I do not think that custom basses costing $3000 and up are in any way worth the money, even though I have never played one. I just don't see how they could be THAT much better to justify the prices.

I think these three things in combination are weird. It's like I'm 3 people; one that loves inexpensive retro style gear regardless of where it's made, one that's kind of a "buy American" flag waiver, and one that thinks boutique basses are for people with more money than sense, even though my experience with them is nil. Or maybe I'm just afraid to pick one of those for fear I'll love it...I need professional help...:help:

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I am impatient with people who obsess over:

- Wood (gimme a break..it's not the biggest factor in sound)
    - Making a 1/4 turn on a truss rod (it ain't made of glass)
    - Which kind of capacitor is in the circuit (I can't hear a diff)
    - Deciding to change the electronics in a bass before they ever get it in hand (chill)
    - Relicing a bass (IMO it looks damaged, you're entitled to your opinion too, but dont ask me to tell you how to relic it...just get a chainsaw and have fun.)

In general, I think instruments should be selected because they sound and feel good. Once you have them in hand, take care of them, play them and enjoy them.

17. IanIan

IanIan

Dec 31, 2009
    Finland
    I have a liking towards instruments that can cover as much frequencies as possible(like a piano) therefore I like basses with multiple strings, but in the end I don't really care for the amount of strings.
    Unlike many of you here I absolutely adore the singlecut quilted maple top- basses. I think that when the builder has a passion to build quality instruments the instruments will sound good. And when there is emotion attached to them the price should not matter.
    I also like small combos like 110 300 watt combo with an extension cabinet of the same size is plenty enough with DI boxes and PA support.

And I think everyone should play THEIR instrument in whatever the way they like.

18. Gold hardware is something i hate

Bass to me is 4 strings , I have no interest in anything more then 4

I dont like jaco

I play with a pick

I dont really care about woods , however i perfer somehting solid not plywood or basswood as it dents to easy for me.

I am a original bass player , meaning i started on bass not some other instrument , although i picked up guitar 4 years into my bass player and progressed fast on it.

I really dont like relics

19. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I buy large bags of hot peppers (like habaneros), chop 'em and fry 'em, then put them in ice cube trays in my freezer. It allows me to add heat anything I want to slap together quickly (which is everything).

The last thing I totally obsessed over buying before I got my Smith (which hasn't arrived yet) were my Reebok 11K ice hockey skates. The white ones. And oh heck yeah, I can fly in those skates. Keep your Vapors! :)

I am proud of getting my black belt after having started studying seriously at age 44.

I play the bass but I'm a musician - not a bass player. I usually am standing in front of keyboards that I am also playing when I've playing at home. I won't judge you EVER by your instrument.

20. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    I don't like slap. Congratulations, you've made every song sound the same.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021