Confession Time: Admit How You Are Different From The Bass Player Norm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nocontrols, Jun 2, 2011.

1. :D:D:D

I couldn't agree more!!! :D

2. Amok

Amok

Dec 5, 2009
    Other opinions matter very little to me. Thats why I would never post a stupid "this that or the other?" post on this site. I hate it when people don't know or can't figure out what they really like! Come to think of it, I guess this disqualifies me from this site:meh:

3. I play so hard that I expect blisters have a big show.

LouBass likes this.
  4. same, always.

5. I play fretless with a pick.

6. I've never owned an amp that wasn't a combo, and never anything over 200W. I've been gigging steadily since around 1999, and have never come across a situation in which I needed more. Any time the show's bigger than a club, the sound guy runs me direct any damn ways.

Also, I hate funk.

7. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    PuT me down for the original #1 and# 2 and.........

Tone is not all in your fingers. Thats a gross overstatement. If you wanna say that the potential to get all the tones out of a certain bass eq'd thru a certain amp with certain strings is in your hands, thats a reasonable statement. I'm onboard.

But tell me i can make a 1970 Ebo with dead flats thru a Sunn amp with the bass turned all the way up played with my fingers is going to sound like a Rick thru a Marshall stack , treble all the way up picked with roundwound strings up cause of my hands ? Uh, no.Gimme a flippin' break. If the tone were "all in your fingers' , you could do that. No uh-uh. Sorreeeee .

8. PDGood

PDGood

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I have unusual right hand technique.
    When playing without a pick I use the thumb and first two fingers in various combinations. Mostly it's two fingers. To play faster I'll switch to thumb and first finger. To play two note harmonies (usually tenths) I'll use the thumb and usually the middle finger.
    I've yet to find just one perfect place for a thumb rest when playing with two fingers.

I play a simple and groove oriented style but my biggest influence is a former room mate who played guitar.

9. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Not a fan of:
    P basses in general
    coffee table basses or esoteric woods
    Metallica of any period: seems a LOT of guys here love Metallica, particularly with Cliff. Not me.
    Huge rigs: I still have to carry the darn thing, the PA does the work instead, and I have to help carry that too! A 4X10 is big enough for me.

Though I like the tone some get with them, I can't find a tone I like when playing bass through a distortion pedal.
    A little preamp overdrive, yes. Full on distortion, not for me.

10. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    jim777 from jemsite?

11. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Say what?!

You just might be mistaken on that particular generality...

12. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Unlike all the stars here, my playing pretty much sucks. But I've been gigging steady for 25 years, which proves no one pays attention to the bass player!

13. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    1. I HATE Slap playing. Absolutely detest the treble electronic vomit.

2. Geddy Lee. Before I even learned who he was, I punched the car radio to get his horrible sound out of my presence.

Now that is honest confession!!!

14. J-Razz

J-Razz

Sep 24, 2009
    KS
    I spend more time playing than I do posting on talkbass about playing...

:D

15. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    No he isn't.
    I never heard of Jaco until a couple of years ago as he was a local identity only.

Because I hate Slap, I hit the stop button after mere seconds of his putrid trebbly sound. Bye. Never again.

16. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Game Set Match

17. I love Jaco's playing- can't play like that, but I wish I could.
    I love Victor's playing- can't play like that, but I wish I could.
    I love slap bass- old Larry Graham or modern Victor, either way- I *really* wish I could slap worth a damn.
    I love bass solos and effects on bass.
    I also love a dark bass tone and a bare-bones part that doesn't call any attention to itself.
    I love possibilities and variety, I dislike being in the position where I hate something, as most things at the tops of their respective genres have intrinsic value. Sometimes it can't be helped, but I'm never proud of saying I hate something, I see it as a failing of my vision and ability to find the worthwhile part of that thing to appreciate.
    I love Fender basses, often the older the better, especially from the 60's and 50's.
    I love beautiful boutique basses with exotic woods and amazing looks.
    I love active bass tones.
    I love classic Fender Jazz and P-bass tones.
    I love Flea's bass playing and can't fathom anyone who says he sucks. Really??
    I wonder if all the people here who talk about not being able to listen to a bassist "solo" through a whole song hate James Jamerson, because on a number of famous tracks that's pretty much what he did, taking advantage of the rock-steady drum track to make some of the best music the world has ever heard. He also played some songs with very simple parts. Variety is the spice of life.
    I can't understand people who cut off possibilities by limiting themselves to only one bass, kind of string, or tone/style of playing.

18. Sterrrling

Sterrrling Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Just because an 810 cab is the quintessential enclosure doesn't mean its easy to move from a gig to rehearsal studio and vice versa (hence I'm selling mine).

19. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I think both Jeff Berlin and Gene Simmons are pretty cool......

20. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I hear Roseanne Barr is single.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021