Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confessions/Proclamations!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kronos, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Folks, I have a confession to make.

I am a parrot.

I've been playing bass for 15 years, and everything I know I learned by mimicing everything else I heard. I've had ZERO formal training, barely know how to read tablature, don't know any scales, let alone how to write music (well, I do understand some stuff from what I learned in Grammar school).

I am in the process of trying to learn more about actual music so that I can become more of a functional player, and to be able to play the music that's in my soul without having to find it, map it out on the fretboard, and then memorize it. I should be able to play what's in my head without problem.

Now, my basis for this thread is for those of us who feel we have shortcomings that want to share them, to tell their stories and then to proclaim what they want to do, or to proclaim what they feel that they do best. I think letting out some of this stuff is very therapeutic for those of us who wish to be better, but feel stunted sometimes.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'm taking lessons to overcome those shortcomings, lessons aren't just for beginners, they are for anyone who wants to get better.
    A lot of people want to be able to say they are self taught, I'd rather be able to say I'm good.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i'm just as bad, except i've only been playing for like a year.