Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Configuring Speakon cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Mar 17, 2005.

1. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I'm using an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, mono-brigded with the speakon to 1/4" cable that came with the amp (says mono-bridged on it).

I now plan on using (2) 4 ohm cabs, 1 in each output (A and B). My question is, can I use the same mono bridged cable for this even though it's not mono bridged anymore? Guitar Center tells me it is the same cable as a standard cable, Ampeg tells me I may have to "configure" my Speakon pins for this...any clue as to who is right?

2. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    They are likely saying that you must use the right output on the amp - Anyone else correct me if I am wrong, but a speakon cable is a speakon cable. Run one for one cab and buy another for the other cab - run them from the stereo outs on the amp.

aaron

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Whoa--a Speakon cable can be balanced or unbalanced, depending on how its wired--don't be too hasty. I had the same problem on an SWR amp my band uses as a backup--we used a normal Speakon in bridged mono instead of the "special" cable and we had chronic overheating--the circuit breaker on the transformer killed power every 20 minutes. Depending on the Ampeg's outputs, the damage could get expensive. I'd check with Ampeg on how they want the Speakons wired--I'll look at ours tomorrow and tell you how its done up.

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I am pretty sure the answer is no. You have to change the speakon connection on the amp side to +1 -1 instead of the +1 +2 configuration of the bridged cable. It is the same cable and the same connector, but you have to change the wiring inside the speakon.

http://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/downloads/Media_293225003.pdf

5. GrandMarkie

GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA

Turns out you are correct, it didn't work the way it was wired. I will have to change the pins on my Speakon cable for it to work. Thanks for the insight!

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    GM is correct. For stereo use rather than bridged, you should use standard-wired Speakons on both ends, that is, 1+/1- on both ends. The configuration for bridged mono is 1+/2+ on the amp end and 1+/1- on the speaker end.

So, for your proposed setup, the GC guy was right, but not for bridged mono. Speakons can be configured a whole bunch of ways. For the subs in my PA, I run the amps bridged, and the cables are wired 1+/2+ at the amp, and 2+/2- at the speaker, since the subs take their input off the 2+/2- pins.

Now, I also have cables that are wired 1+/1- on one end to 2+/2- on the other. This is so I can run stereo outputs off the amp's 1+/1- pins and connect them to the subs 2+/2- pins. Got it?

Has this been sufficiently redundant and confusing?