CONFIRMED - Sydney Australia GTG - 30 October 2005

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The Sydney Get Together is now confirmed.

It will be held on Sunday 30 October 2005 at Greensquare Community Hall:

3 Joynton Avenue
    Zetland NSW 2017

The time will be 12pm - 4pm and there will likely be a fixed program including some special events so, if you can, try and budget to be there the whole time.

It will be BYO alcohol if you are old enough to drink, but there will be a fridge etc and some food. It will be open to ALL AGES but please note that alcohol will likely be being consumed there if you are thinking of letting your kids go. No alcohol will be served - it will be strictly BYO.

We will provide more details about the activities etc when we get them sorted out completed but it definately on!

At the GTG there will be:

1. The largest collection of Alembic basses in the Southern Hemisphere

2. The first public appearance of the Thunderfunk THB550 in Australia

3. The first Australian appearances of the Accugroove Tri112 and the Schroeder 1210

4. A live recording of a basscast podcast called "The Bass Show" which will feature a panelist of bassists like the Footy Show (minus men in dresses - sorry we couldnt get Brad Cook to make it)

On top of that a lot of guys are bringing their gear down so you can try out all sorts of cool gear.

Please note - we will require ID at the door - you do not have to be over 18 but will need some kind of photo ID.

Thanks to the wonderful efforts of David Burgess from Green Square Music ( ), we have secured Steve Hunter, one of Sydney's premier bassists to give a solo performance and take questions during the Sydney GTG.

Anyone who heard Basscast Number 7 would be familiar with Steve's work if they weren't already. More info on Steve can be found at

The format of the day will be:

12:00pm - Gear checkin for anyone bringing gear
    1:00pm - 2:00pm - Recording of "The Bass Show" a live to tape podcast segment with a panel of bassists
    2:30pm - Steve Hunter Solo performance
    4:00pm - Finish and gear checkout.

There will be plenty of time just to hang out, check out all the great gear that will be there and just have fun. There is absolutely no cost so just come on down - it will be fun!

To increase security there will be a single entry and exit point that will manned at all times. We will operate a checkin / checkout of gear arrangement where you list your name and all the gear you have brought when you turn up. You need to sign out that you have taken all your gear when you leave and it may be checked. This is to make sure that people can feel confident bringing their gear down.

We will also ensure that everyone shows some kind of ID to get in and we get peoples details.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    For the sake of your fellow Aussies I would just like to verify that you will be clothed if said event should occur.

brad cook
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yes, although I have had some requests that the "Brad Cook Nude Synchronised Swimming Instructional Video" gets its annual playing at the GTG.
  4. I would/could come... More to be awed by other peoples beautiful basses and superior playing skills than to show my own (edit: ) inferior basses and playing skills :D (it looked for a second there that I had cool stuff and knew how to play the bass :eek: )

and we could all come naked! it would be like............. mentally scarring!
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, a Sydney GTG is definitely overdue.

We almost had one about a year ago but postponed it until Pick returned from his trip to the USA. Well I think it's safe to say he's back by now :)

I'll try and find the old thread and contact everyone who was keen at the time. I'll also speak to any current Sydney TB'ers I know of, plus anyone I can think of that might have some interesting gear to bring along.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Guys can you post whether you are over or under 18 in this thread. It may help us try and work out what to do about a venue.

We can always rent a community hall etc if we have a bunch of under 18's, but it would be kinda nice to do it somewhere with beer. After all, without beer, I sound crap :D
  7. I turned 18 a few months ago... and yes, I have discovered the merits of alcoholic beverages myself :D
  8. flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    ...and girls! :hyper:
  9. dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    In response to direct invites from Pete and Mark, Green Square Music will be there. Still working out the details re product clinics, podcasts, etc.

Better be licensed premises - the first round is on us.
  10. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Can we get this thread stickied?

Pete - perhaps we do a mass PM to all the Aussie users, is there some way to search by location?
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You can search for Aussie Members easily enough, but sending each of them a PM is a big job as far as I'm aware. Unless of course anyone knows of any way to shortcut it????
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia

14. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I want to see photos with all in attendance wearing cricket sweaters and helmets. :hyper:

(Good luck with the GTG)
  15. I did that...have fun :D
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) No-one said anything about a "Fancy Dress" GTG! That could just be a TB first, but we'll leave that to someone else.
  17. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pft, jobs are for suckers. Plus i've got exams coming up, so not now ;)