1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Conformity; what are your limits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Drgonzonm, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Probably an old topic,
    I have seen posts that dress code Conformity needs to questioned. What other quasi standards make your skin crawl.

Ellery likes this.
  2. Start time!
    I went to see a band who advertised start time at 20:00, but 20:00 was when they finished setting up.
    They then started drinking beer & squeezing their dates until 21:00, when they actually started playing.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I can't think of any, really. I learned 2 guiding principles at an early age, that have removed a lot of needless angst from my life:
    1. The Golden Rule. Them that has the Gold, makes the rules; and
    2. Don't Sweat the Small S**t (and, things tend to be pretty much ALL small s**t).
    In 66 years, it's been amazing how much stress I've avoided by remembering those two things. Probably why I still have all my hair...:whistle:

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In 1964, my class entering high school was the first class that allowed girls to wear pants instead of dresses and skirts. I have heard people doing stupid things with dress codes since then.

The really absurd and ironic thing is that some schools are now going BACK to limiting hair length and dress codes. And in some cases, the principals and teachers went to school with the people who fought for freedom to wear their hair and dress casually in the 60's and 70's.

Here's where I come down:
    Private School? Have whatever stupid dress and hair codes you want. Parents can pull their kids out if they want.
    Public school? All you can do is require bodies to be covered. The time and effort you spend fighting this will be wasted.

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Apart from grown men wearing white socks with sandals, I really don't care what people are wearing.
    If people want to look like complete idiots then let 'em, I say. It makes it easier for the rest of us to spot them.

I assume the OP is referencing the 'no shorts, no baseball caps, always wear black' bassist stage 'code' and to be honest I'm fairly happy in conforming to that but not out of any sense of it's being 'right' but just that it suits me.

If we're talking school uniforms, then I think they're a great idea and should be mandatory.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    When I'm playing on concrete, a shoes optional policy is not optional. I will wear shoes.
    I want the venue to conform to electrical codes.
    I want all my amps to be wired with three prong cords.
    I expect all band members to be relativelying close on beat timing, with some exceptions.

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I've come up against my own squareness recently.

At 67 I'm learning about sex and food, going beyond my conformity. It's interesting, frustrating, embarrassing and delightful

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's a matter of priorities. If you aren't the one making the rules/expectations, and want to buck them, you pay the consequences.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    While I probably look every part the conformist to an outside observer, my mind does not work like like that. When everyone is going right, I make sure I go left. Sometimes to my detriment.

Pudge Fish, PillO, Loring and 5 others like this.
  10. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    I asking a very general question. Clothing was just an example.
    When I took standardized tests I used my own #2 pencils. When everyone else used HB lead in their Pentals I used 2B .

Loring likes this.
  11. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wait... wha?? KBD back in the hizzie?????!!

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, brotha!

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    You are either studying Freud, or you're having the time of your life...

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. (After all, the first post was in misc and not off topic. And the wording was "iffy".)

@Drgonzonm are we talking about members of a band dressing alike, or a school uniform? If it's the latter this belongs in off topic.

Ellery likes this.
  14. Richie Se7en

Richie Se7en Presently distractivated Supporting Member

:roflmao:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If it's about school uniforms, I can tell you they are fantastic for several reasons.

1) Getting 5 and 8 year old girls ready in the morning is stupid easy. Not many choices so no fashion drama to deal with.

2) From a social standpoint it's incredible. Kids become friends with other kids they would have never talked to had brand names and other fashion deal been allowed. My daughter's groups of friends include rock lids and poor kids. Why? They became friends at school where uniforms made their socioeconomic backgrounds obsolete. Even at my high school in the 80s you had to wear the right logo on your shirt or the cool kids didn't talk to you. At my kids' school the cool kids are just the ones with the nest personalities. Until a birthday party comes along at someone's house, nobody has any idea if you are rich or poor. I think it's fantastic.

3) Go back to #1. I don't have to listen to girl tantrums if the proper top isn't clean or no longer fits. You wanna wear a blue uniform shirt or a purple one? Tan shorts or blue ones? Conversation over. If they ever do away with uniforms I'm moving to a place that still has them. No bit kids are gonna see my girls walking around one day with their bellies out and their jeans ripped to shreds.

Maybe I'm old school. But you aren't there to be a walking billboard for Nike, Polo or even Fender or Led Zep. You are there to learn intellectually and socially. I couldn't care less if kids would rather be in their Levis skinny jeans and ironic T shirts. ;)

16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I don't expect my 'superiors' at work to know the rules, or adhere to them... the consequences I pay, include an all day, no-fly zone of my immediate work area...

... it's not often, but my conformity parallels their decision making abilities.

DirtDog and JRA like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It also allows you to set standards without being accused of being racist, sexist, etc.

Templar, Thumb n Fingers and Ellery like this.
  18. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Sort of like the Supreme Court, I'll know it when I see it.

I'm willing to go along on some things, others, just ain't gonna happen.

Sort of like other poster, conformity on us all playing the same song at the same tempo.

Argue too much on the side of conformity and you lose the individuality that makes a band special.

Loring and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Actually none of the above, TB has discussions about yellow t-shirts in a metal band, he gets complaints.. It has discussions regarding 432 v. 440 tuning, and someone posts he tunes to a different base frequency so the bass stands out. Someone questions why we need to conform to 4/4 time. And we haven't talked jazz. So the Conformity question is wide open.

Is school uniforms off topic, not if you want your band to wear blue Polo shirts and grey slacks.
    I believe we should conform to band or music related items.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006

This was the first CD I ever bought, back in 1984. :bassist: