Confused about a teacher options I have

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 11, 2003.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Ive been feeling out teachers today. Ive noticed something about them here. They either do one thing or the other.

Some teach theory, technique, and sight reading. But dont teach any styles of music.

A small few teach different styles, latin, jazz and pop were the three I ran into, but they dont teach theory, technique, and sight reading. Or so they say. (I cant see how you can teach a style and not theory)

I'll be the first to admit, that Im still not as strong as Id like to be in the theory department, and I know I have a bad habbit or two in the technique department that need correcting. A teacher would also be good to help me further along my sight reading too.

Granted, Im doing fine working on all this by myself, with the aid of my method books and help from some good friends here. (Special kudos, to Tard, Blinky, Durrl, and Ed Fuqua) But a teacher in that area would help me move along a bit faster.

I would also like to learn the jazz and latin styles. Those are two styles that I am weak iin. Learning them would make me more versatile and definatly help me obtain more freelance gigs. I'll be honest, I could definatly use the money and thats the main reason for considering a teacher in this area. I know I can learn these styles by listening to them more, but a teacher would definatly be more advantagious for me in this area. Maybe even more so than in the theory/technique/sight reading.

I honestly dont know which would be the better of the two options on this. I also cant figure out why the jazz/latin dudes dont or wont teach theory.
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    If it were me I would go along with a teacher that teaches theory and technique. And, yeah, I don't understand why a teacher who teaches Jazz doesn't also teach theory. I'd kind of be a little skeptical of that...Of course, I also don't understand why there isn't a teacher that doesn't teach a little bit of both. I mean, I learn theory at my lessons and I've learned how to play Jazz (the theory that goes into creating walking basslines, harmonization, etc.). I've played Classical pieces, and Rock, and Blues....etc. Different styles are used as examples in theory lessons.

I'd go with what you feel you definately need a teacher the most for.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Thanks for the advice you two. I was teacher shopping again today. I found a guy who teaches theory, technique, sight reading, and loves to play jazz and jazzy type music.

He was upfront about what he can and can't do. Told me he could turn me on to music in the styles I was looking to learn and even help me learn them. He also said he's got a list of jazz standards, pop standards, wedding standards.

So I think Im going to go with this guy. I really admired his honesty as far as to what he could'nt do. He's the 1st one Ive met with that told me in depth what he couldnt do, with me having to probe to get an in depth answer.

He's not even that expensive, $25 per hour
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm paying almost double that :p my lessons cost 45 an hour.. thats a great price especially if he's good :) Is it just me or is NYC just a place where everyone overcharges? :p