1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Confused about body wood on Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MyUsernameHere, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    What is this? Not that this is extremely figured, but I didn't think alder got figured this much. Kind of looks like Maple but Rebops FMs are supposed to have Maple tops on alder bodies and this looks to be solid throughout--the back is figured more than the top.

I didn't think Spector kept making solid alder bodies after they started using the inlays in the neck, am I wrong? Did they at any point ever make any Rebops with solid maple bodies? Can't seem to find any info one way or the other.
    spector2.jpg

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I can't tell you what the body is, but that sure looks like a maple top.

3. +1

4. TBalls

TBalls Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    My impression has always been that Spector uses solid bodies on just about all of their models with the contoured NS body, whether NT or BO. From the bit that can be seen in that picture it sure looks like a solid piece of (lightly) figured maple.

5. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    No, the Euro LX bodies are three piece laminates now and the newer Rebops (2004 and up?) are supposed to be alder bodies (backs) with maple or zebrano tops.

What's confusing me is that I thought this was a FM when I bought it, but the wings are clearly solid. The only solid bodied Rebops should be the older ones made of alder, but as far as I know they had dot inlays. The consensus seems to be that it looks like maple, so that's what I'll go with and just chalk it up to Spector putting out one of these with a solid body unless someone tells me they've seen an alder bodied Rebop that looks like this.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You could have a gem of a bass there. I also noticed the switch above the knobs. It could be a custom job. Email PJ Rubal and send him the pics and S/N. If anyone would know, it'd be him.

7. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    The switch was a custom install the previous owner put in it when he replaced the pups. Its supposed to have the pre that comes standard with DCs...but it isn't. I opened it up and couldn't tell what it is. Its an EMG something, but the pups are supposed to have a JV pre with two volumes and a tone (as far as I can tell from the EMG site) and this has one master volume, bass and treble controls, an added EXB control and the three way pup selector.

Anyway, the guy I bought it from said he had "his guy" do all the mods, which I took for him having taken it to some shop.

Just out of curiosity before I bother the guy, who is Rubal? He work for Spector or or is he just a really knowledgeable fan of their stuff?

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    He works for Spector. His contact info should be on their site.

9. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Cool, thanks.

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    PJ Rubal is the Artist Relations guy at Spector. You can email him at [email protected]. He's a really great guy and answers all questions no matter how big or small.

11. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I actually just got done sending him an e-mail...but thanks for the link anyway.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Hahaha...you jerk, you got my bass! :spit: j/k I was talking to that guy about buying it for weeks but ended up trading my Lakland for an extremely unique Euro 5LX-EX and couldn't come up with money to add a third Spector to my stable.

[​IMG]

Spector has a lot of "transition" basses where they mix and match parts between new and older models. Nothing real special about it, just a cost-effective way of using up old parts to make room for the new. That body is definitely all-maple with some light quilting to it and the electronics are add-ons from the previous owner as you mentioned.

I spent a lot of time researching the bass and was maybe a week or two away from recovering from my last Spector purchase before I was going to buy the one that's now yours. Good luck with it and keep me in mind if you get tired of it ;)

13. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Well...I'm glad someone had the common sense to research this thing before they were going to buy it.:)

It may end up back on the block here shortly. Nice bass, but man is it freaking bright sounding. Gotta see how it sounds recorded before I do anything (as I need an aggressive sounding bass for some stuff and can't swing a grand for something else right now). If your serious about wanting it, I might get with you in a week or two...no promises though. If I figure out the sound I'm going to keep it.

14. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well, Spectors typically are a little brighter than most basses but open up the control panel and see if there are any DIP switches or controls...I'm not sure what all was replaced but some of the EMG preamps have frequency switches for the treble - I keep mine set real low...around 2kHz but gets rid of some of the brightness.

It may be longer than a week or two because I think my truck might need a new clutch here soon but hit me up anyways - [email protected].

15. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    NKUSIGep, It kind or sounds like I was expecting...just more so. Don't get me wrong, its not bad, just not what I'm used to. It'll probably end up sounding killer in a mix and I was doing some tapping on it last night and that's definitely one thing this bass does well.

As for the DIP switch, I don't think it has anything like that. I already looked in there and didn't see anything, but maybe something was buried under the batteries that I just overlooked. I'll have to check again.

I'm leaning toward keeping it for now (on this forum who ever really knows), but I'll be sure to shoot you a e-mail if I change my mind.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021