Confused about Dunlop Super Brights

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 22, 2016.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Coeur D'Alene,Idaho
    Hi,
    I have been using Hi Beams for many years and I thought I might try out the dunlops super brights because so many of you say good things about those strings.
    So I ordered these on e-bay.
    Dunlop Super Bright Steel Medium 5-String Bass Guitar Strings (45-125) 2-Pack

Then I saw these Dunlops on Amazon and I noticed they say Stainless Steel on the package and the ones i ordered only say "Steel" so now I'm confused.
    Amazon.com: Dunlop DBSBS45125 Super Bright Bass Strings, Stainless Steel, Medium, .045-.125, 5 Strings/Set: Musical Instruments

I thought Dunlops only came in Nickel or Stainless so are there really three types?
    And if so, how are the steels different from stainless. The DR Hi Beams are stainless so I think I want to stay with that. The seller doesn't seem to know the answer to my question and has already sent them out.He would let me return them, but i don't want to waste his time if they are the same.
    Can you guys clarify this for me?
    Thanks

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Looks like you're looking at old/new packaging to me.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Yes, that's the old packaging. You have Stainless Steels. The nickels said 'Nickel' where yours say 'Steel', but they changed that a couple of years ago.

Always buy from www.bassstringsonline.com so that you get the freshest strings and the best price. It would have only been about $2 less, but you'd have newer strings and would be supporting the TalkBass community!

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    If the set on Amazon is indeed showing the same set pictured from the back you could compare the UPCs between that image and what you have.

5. gimmeagig

gimmeagig Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Coeur D'Alene,Idaho
    Yes, I did end up calling Dunlop and they told me there have been changes in the packaging.I'm not sure how old those strings I ordered are but I hope stainless strings age don't age in the package over time to end up sounding noticeably different. I can't imagine being able to hear something like that but I don't know for sure.It's not like I'm buying bananas :)
    BTW, I'm OK with the first seller. Shipped on the same day as I ordered.I'm happy about that. Better than I have experienced with other online bass string sellers.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Yeah they are sealed in plastic so you should be good, kudos on Dunlop for great packaging!

And you might want to search some of the threads around here on Bass Strings Online. You won't find a faster or cheaper place to buy strings. You even get a TB user discount, but if you don't like saving money and would rather buy strings that have been sitting on the shelf for years, that's okay :)