1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Confused about gig amp requirements

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by casper_morgan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. So I currently have a AMPEG BA115 that has a plug for an XLR cable (DI is what its called i think?)... anyways... the singer of the band I am in who is also the BL says that I need to get something like a 6x10 and a head to go with it... this is going to cost me around 1000.00+

However.. we just did 2 gigs in a row (my first shows ever since I am the new bassist for the band) and all they did was hook me directly to the PA system...

So why again do I need a bigger amp?

I am a n00b at gig'ing so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question....

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If it's working for you, then you don't need another amp.

In my area there is practically no PA support, so your amp wouldn't cut it for my situation. You certainly don't "need" a monster rig though. Yesterday, the bassist for the band after us was using a GB Shuttle 6.2 1X12 combo for an outdoors gig and sounded great.

3. If you are able to use PA support, as you have, there is usually no good reason to upsize aside from you or your bandmates not being able to hear you.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Some venues do not have PA support so you really do need to get your own rig. Sometimes they claim they do have PA but when you show up their equipment is like a 112 monitor and a mic... meaning they dont have the right stuff.

All you need is a 115 and a decent amp like an older gk 800rb or something. You should be able to do it for under a $1000... especially if you look used.

5. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    It might be that the singer is in the (usually deceived) camp of people who think that more or bigger is louder. He might be worrying that he will not hear you on stage, or it might even be a purely aesthetic thing - "a small amp does not look rock and roll", or some would even say "professional".

I personally need a bigger amp mostly for stage volume. I have PA support for about 90% of the gigs I play, but sometimes the monitor mix is not enough for me personally. If I could get away with just bringing my amp head etc and no cabs I would, but I sort of fall into the camp of "that doesn't look rock and roll", so I at least bring my 4x10 to gigs with smaller stages.

You should get what you think YOU need, and not the singer. Unless he is the one signing your paycheck, band leader or not, he really can't force you to spend money that you either don't have, or don't want to

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    well of course he can fire the OP ... light travels faster than sound. in some circuits, looks matter. I for instance don't show up at a trad country gig eith the craziest looking bass in the stable. for me it's just common sense.

i would wonder what the other rigs are on stage? does the bass also have to be in the monitors ? that can annoy singers when there isn't a dedicated mix available for them.

basically you should be geared appropriately for the gig. tools of the trade ...

7. When it comes to power and gig volume... It's better to have too much than not enough.

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    If the bandleader is saying, "in my experience, for the type of gigs we'll be playing, my gear recommendation is _____" then that is advice I would strongly consider, depending on the experience/reputation of the bandleader, plus how much the gig pays of course!

9. In all honesty, you should have your own rig for sound purposes, monitoring purposes, etc.
    However, I highly doubt you will need a 6x10 rig for anything less than medium to large outdoor gigs.

The BA115 is a monster of a combo amp, but you should invest in a head and a cab(s).
    My personal suggestion for you is a 500-700w amp head capable of 4 ohms with one, or maybe two (if you can get a good price on it) 4x10 cabs. Make sure that if you get two cabs, both are rated at 8 ohms or 16 ohms, otherwise very bad things will happen.

I also personally recommend that you buy used, since there is alot of very good gear out there used for cheap prices, or at least, relatively cheap. If you are a smart shopper, you can easily get a good amp head like an Ampeg with two 4x10 cabs for just under $1000. That really should cover all the sound you could need until you get to really large gigs.

Also, please read up on the amp FAQ posted on the forums here.

10. thanks for all the advice guys. much appreciated :D