1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

confused about my bridge, sorry, I'm stupid...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, May 29, 2001.

  1. Tom Crofts

    Tom Crofts

    Mar 15, 2001
    I have a soundgear and it's a five string. The bridge as well as having the screws to move the little cylinder things which the strings are on also has two allen keys on each little cylinder. What I want to know (sorry about brilliant use of guitar tech lingo) is what exactly they do and whether I should leave them alone. Just cos I don't know what they're called doesn't mean I don't know how to fiddle with stuff :). If I adjust the bridge, which bit do I (or a shop) adjust, because I know all the barrels are at slightly different heights (the allen keys) and different lengths (the screws). Any info would be nice, sorry about the rambling.
  2. Turock

    Turock Supporting Member

    Apr 30, 2000
    The up and down (as you might suspect) is for adjusting the string height and the length is for adjusting the intonation.
  3. rickbass

    rickbass Supporting Member

    It sounds like you have a Fender type bridge. The screw holes in the cylinders that you stick an Allen wrench into are to adjust the height of the strings at the witness point, (where the string sets on the saddle and bends).

    So, say you know your instrument's intonation is fine. You don't want to mess with the screws at the back of the bridge then. But your strings are too close for comfort/sound to the pickups/fingerboard. The cylinder screws allow you to raise them up and down.

Share This Page