1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Confused about shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Jul 4, 2014.

1. I have two basses that buzz like crazy (Fender Affinity P and Peavey Grind). I asked for ways to reduce this noise and someone suggested shielding tape.

I picked some up and taped the inside of the preamp cavity on the Affinity. Almost dead quiet. Worked like a charm.

Took preamp cover off Grind and noticed a strip of shielding tape kind of hanging loosely, with part of it placed on the outer top edge of the cavity (where the cavity cover, which has shielding tape, would make contact) and the other disconnected and dangling. I thought it might have been soldered on, but appears it was just taped onto one of the potentionmeters.

I tried putting a fresh piece of tape but there was a lot ot buzz. I then did the same as to the Affinity. Still buzz. Annoyingly loud. This through a Carvin B2000.

I decided to use my Vox bass amphones and through this, zero buzzing noise.

So why the buzzing through the amp/cabinet combo but not the amphone?

thanks,

Mamoru

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Is the buzz through the amp affected when you touch the strings or is it constant? The amp might also just amplifying the frequency better or output louder.

3. Strings or bridge, no difference.

If i touch the control knobs (still bare metal) or if I touch the bass amp, the buzzing stops.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The fact that it goes away when you touch the knobs means it is RF buzz, so it is shielding related. The fact your bridge and string do not stop the hum makes me think it is the bridge connection.

Check the ground wire under the bridge, ensure it has a solid connection. I like to add a strip of copper foil under the bridge.

5. Got it. I will try it now.

Thank you.

6. So I removed all the individual bridge pieces and no wire. Thought maybe it go loose and removed the back cover. The wire going to the bridge was still connected to something.

Turns out the wire ran toward the thimball doo-hickies that are on the back of the bass (can be strung thru the body or just at the bridge which is how its strung up now) as opposed to going toward the bridge.

So what I did was push the bare wire to the bridge, adding some shielding tape to hold it in place, and put everything back together. Then the test.

There's still some buzzing, but it went from intolerable to just a slight annoyance. Now, the remaining buzz does go away when I touch the strings or bridge.

I've got the cavity shielded pretty good so not sure if there's anything else I can do, or if it's just the nature of the beast with this bass.

Is this something I can remove more of, or might I be at its limit?

Thanks

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic