Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confused?Most music i listen to uses a pick.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fender_bassist1, Nov 24, 2004.

1. fender_bassist1

fender_bassist1

Nov 23, 2004
    Most of the music i listen to has a lot of power chords. People say i shold start using my fingers.I am wondering whether i should use a pick throught out the whole song. I am just really confused cause most band i listen to are emo/indie/rock and most of there bass players use picks. Should i use a pick if i am interested in this genre of music?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If you like the sound of a pick, use a pick! The most important thing is that the bass sound the way you want it to.

You can always pick up fingerstyle later if you want.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. Great advice!

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah dude use what ever you want..

5. +1
    Slap it , Pluck it, pick it , tap it , finger it :eek:

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    You should learn and practice both fingerstyle and pick playing, and never feel that you're a lesser player if the sound you hear for a song requires a pick. Just don't get so attached to the pick that you have no choice but to use it- some songs require fingers.

7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    there have been lots of pick threads recently... have a browse!

if you want to be a well-rounded, versatile player, then it wont hurt to cover as many different techniques as possible.. but just remember some of the greatest bass players ever used very little technical variety... Jamerson played with 1 finger, never slapped, tapped, double-thumped or used a pick.. and he managed to express himself pretty well...

y'know what i'm saying :)

8. fender_bassist1

fender_bassist1

Nov 23, 2004
    No , am asking if there is a way to do play power chords using your fingers instead of a pick?

9. Well yeah, just pluck both strings at the same time, but not too hard or it will not be the sound you are looking for, more of a pop.

You could also strum with your fingers if you wanted, thats what I do when I want chords, might hurt for a while but you get used to it, check out Les Claypool of Primus, he does this a bit (listen to 'Too Many Puppies').

10. Rich600

Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Scotland
    A lot of bands i listen to use picks but when i jam their songs i just use whichever style i want, a lot of the time id use my fingers to play stuff like tool and converge, and whatever, its just about you and what you wanna do man.

11. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Keep in mind there's nothing wrong with sounding a little different too. Just because most bassists in the genre of music you like use a pick, doesn't mean that you have to. I played in very heavy metal/funk bands a while back, and the funk aspect was basically ME doing what I wanted to on bass. When I played chords, I mostly used the Claypool strumming style (although these days when I play chords I pluck them with my thumb and fingers most of the time).

The way I see it playing fingerstyle just gives you a much larger amount of versatility when you're playing. And, you can come pretty close to that "pick sound" by playing close to bridge and cranking your tone towards the bridge pickup (maybe a little EQ depending on your setup).

You can play with a pick if that's what you like, but if you get really good at fingerstyle you can smoke any pick player out there.

12. T-BIRD bassist

T-BIRD bassist

Jun 24, 2004
    whatever is easiest for u to do and sound good with the music if u cant play fast enough with ur fingers try a pick. :bassist:

13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Do whatever comes naturally to you. If you end up picking with your fingernail when you try to play fingerstyle, then maybe go with using a pick.

Sometimes it felt most natural for me to play with a pick, but I liked the tone of fingerstyle alot more, so when I practice I always drill fingerstyle. I've got lots of nice callouses (sic?) now. ;)