Confused, need Help with Limiter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hello everybody I just recently bought a Gallien-Krueger 410BLX Cab and a 40RB IV head. This is my first real rig aside from practice amps and I do not wanna blow the speakers when I slap so I wanna get a limiter pedal but I really know nothing about them! I dont know what any of the different knobs mean so when I do get my limiter I wont know what to put my settings on. Pleez Help

KNOBS.........1)Level 2)Enhance 3)Ratio 4)Thshd ......wat do these mean what should I put them at when slaping???
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, 1st off i'm gonna put this in effects as it's more suited to that forum.

anyhow, be prepared for a bit of as flame war on the "need" for a compressor or limiter. technique will reduce the need for one dramatically. BTW, a limiter is just a compressor set to an infinite ratio so past the threshold, no volume increase will happen

level is generally your output volume which should be set to equal your volume with the pedal off. (unless this particular limiter uses that name differently), enhance isn't really a control on limiters or compressors but is generally a tone control of sorts depending upon brand, ratio is the the amount your signal will be reduced - 3:1 means that past the threshold, every 3 dB your signal increases going into the compressor, only a 1 dB increase will come out of the compressor. threshold is the level you set where compresson or limiting starts to kick in, under that volume no compression will occur. some units will also have attack and release controls which affect how fast the signal begins to be compressed once it passes the threshold, and how fast compression ceases after the threshold is reached again on the way down.