1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

confused - pls help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jg42, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    trying to understand - on my Ibanez SR1200 I have an "eq off" switch. when I switch from "on" to "off" position the sound obviously changes but also drops level vise. so my question is - does it just switch off the eq or switches the whole preamp off and puts my Nordstrand big singles in passive mode? (they are passive pickups - aren't they?)

Thank you!

2. Not gonna be a lot of help since I'm unfamiliar with that bass, but it sounds to me like your switching into passive mode and shutting off the whole preamp. Wiser players than me will confirm if this is true or not though.

3. sharp8874

sharp8874

Jan 10, 2011
    I looked up your bass and it says that the switch is a "preamp bypass switch" so from my understanding it makes the bass go to passive mode. Also I think the preamp is still on but its just doesn't get any pickup signal when you put your switch to off

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    typically the preamps do stay on, but just get bypassed (so the pickups are indeed in passive mode). if not, switching back to active could create a weird noise as the preamp powered itself up again.