1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Confused: The Ampeg SVT sound and the low-mids thing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by King Louie, May 1, 2018.

1. Ampegs have a gritty growl, and alot of punch. That's what the sound is.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    OK we've got the sound sorted out, now what's this about the SVT being the Holy Grail?

As good as it is, the SVT is only one of many great choices for bass players.

3. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Mine seems tho do whatever I tell it to, scooped or adjusted at various mid frequencies. It's a beast.

The limiting factor, if I have to pick one, is the range of the cabinets. I used sealed and they roll off the super lows nicely while throwing plenty of mids and treble. I like to play around with a bump in the very low mids and a cut higher up. I may or may not move the upper mids from flat. Treble knob stays put, bass knob is adjusted to the room (if anything this the only pain punt, it's tricky to get the bottom dialed in just right) or left alone and I deal with it on the axe. Mostly flat with a bump here and a cut there seems to work pretty well.

4. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Bravo!!! That's the best example of showing an objective answer to a question that is almost always answered subjectively!

DStJ, King Louie, JMacBass65 and 6 others like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And as always, there is an army of Ampeg enthusiasts camped out in front of your house demanding that you admit it's the Holy Grail under threat of capture and imprisonment.

6. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

I'm getting my torch and pitchfork ready right now. :D

7. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord Supporting Member

I aim to please. :D I just happened to have those screen caps stored in my media on TB from another thread about the SVT's frequency response from a while back so it was easy. It's nice to have a visual representation of what the knobs and switches do for sure.

rodl2005 and Kriegs like this.
  8. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    When I try out amps, I am a all at noon guy. I rocked a traynor yba200 for the first few years in my band and the. I decided to pony up and buy an svt finally. When I got it on I was like, hmm sounds awefully middy. Brought it to band practice and was like oh, so that’s what they mean.

ezra1, Korladis and BillMason like this.
  9. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    It sure is! Now do every amp in every knob combination so we can view and dissect and discusss endlessly. . Please?

I’d like to see the same graphs but measured from the amp and measured from the cab to objectively see the cab influence. Of course then you need to consider mic placement and type so you’ve got apples and oranges.

10. Phil508

Phil508

Feb 19, 2012
    Central MASS
    The reason I like the SVT is you plug in and play it sounds great. My old Peavey was two years on knob tweaking and still not satisfied (except with the volume). SVT 1st time playing....... heaven, and even tweaking the sound was fun. If you have not plugged in try one and you will know what everybody is saying. That being said it is a beast to move , that's why I use VT Bass now and its close enough with the ease of moving a smaller rig.

ezra1 and blastoff like this.
  11. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    Bill Wyman.

ezra1 and lizardking837 like this.
  12. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i recently picked up a 810e cab. and got to play my 74 V$ and late 70's SVT through it.

two things became very clear.
    the V4 with the 810 is still my holy grail......,
    and the sound we are all talking about is as much or more the cab then the heads. neither head sounds as yummy with most of my other (modernish) cabs......,

Winter, rodl2005 and JMacBass65 like this.
  13. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    12BitSlab likes this.
  14. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    i owned 2 svt's with 8x10 cabs in the past and i loved them both...almost bought a 3rd...then remembered hauling those beasts around...decided on some svt 4x10 cabs and a class d amp (veyron mosfet)....still sounds great.

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

IMHO, the SVT is a mighty fine amp...I own two. I am personally not a fan of the 810. Awesome and iconic speaker? Yes. But, IMHO they are one of the least transparent designs you can buy. They really roll off a lot of the upper mids and highs and beam like crazy. To me, these characteristics mask many of the subtle differences between different amps and basses making them all sound more similar than different. I find it really hard to hear myself in a live band context...the bass just sounds like a muffled rumble. I normally like a speaker I can get up high and aim at my head so I can hear every subtle articulation and nuance. I don't like a lot of clank or fret rattle but I do like strong vocal mids and smooth extended highs. With the right speaker these goals are easily achieved with a touch of EQ. There is no amount of EQ that can trick an 810 into producing the sound I like.

Unfortunately as a young bass player starting out, I fell into the hype I read in numerous magazines and bought a brand new MTI SVT and 810 without ever hearing one. It had to be special ordered so there were no returns...mind you I saved up working a minimum wage job to pay for this incredible dream rig. Imagine my surprise and disappointment when it arrived and I hated the sound...The store generously let me play the amp in the showroom before I even paid off the layaway. The only way I could make the amp produce the sound I wanted was to rig it up with a crossover, EQ, and a guitar amp so the sound approximated full range flat response. In total the rig weighed about 400lbs...but it sounded awesome with the high passed Fender Twin loaded with JBL E120s sitting on top. ,

@King Louie Do yourself a favor...find yourself and SVT with an 810 and play it before you buy. It's a combination rightfully loved by many, but not everyone's cup of tea.

16. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    This is very interesting. A pro I sold a few amps to pointed at my silver face twin and said “that’s the best amp you have there” (for bass). I’m assuming you could run it with a bass cabinet.

17. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    I'm probably in the minority, but I'm ok with that ..
    I really can't stand the way they sound.. even when I was a drummer many years ago I didn't like it..

I get why folks are attracted to it. If it works for you.. own it! Rock it! It's just not me..

I'll stick with my Fearless F112, and Mesa D800.. alone, or with my Noble

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Awesome post.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Even as an SVT fan I'll admit it is only one of many fantastic choices out there.

chris_b likes this.
  20. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Ever try a Fender Concert or a Showman?
    That's the tone from a bunch of $$$ boutique amps and preamps.

Ironic bc I'd always heard that Ampeg's CEO or whatever was adamantly against distortion.
    SVT is a fat 2 buckets of chicken + a pepproni pizza D carrying boy that could make bigger clean sound than it's competitors of the era.

It's the fat jogging suit wearing dude that the hot hood rat b's love.