1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

confused!! which one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BGOLDBASS, Aug 14, 2007.

1. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    ok i just switched over from guitar and bought a really nice EBMM SR4 BLACK SUNBURST... as lovely as this bass is i think i might have made a mistake by going active...i went to GC today and played a 60th ae fender jazz bass,and i think i fell in love.... but some buddies are telling me to find a nice pbass

should i
    a)keep the mm
    b)get the jazz bass
    c)find a p bass

i still would like a versitale sounding instrument, i play finger style but rarely pop and slap ....i really dig a fat warm bass line that cuts thru but not to much and is clean sounding ....i play alot of rock/indie which is heavy at times and really clean and harmonized at times....

what do you bass geniuses think?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    At the moment, I'm really diggin on the P. That's just me.

It's kind of like asking "Should I date the blond, brunette, or the redhead?"

Play em all, then play em all again.

3. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Go with what makes you feel excited to play your best....

However, I will say that the bassist from Circa Survive - which balances really aggressive and really clean plays a Stingray and he gets a phenomenal tone. Maybe try going through all of your settings again. It's great when you get used to a particular sound to discover a bunch more you didn't realize you had at your disposal.

4. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    i know , circa survive is one of my favorite bands/influences

5. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    In my arrogant opinion, a good more expensive bass generally justifies the price over a good less expensive bass, at least up to a certain point well beyond my budget. My experience is that a good high quality preamp makes an active bass more useful; I cruddy pre-amp you just leave in neutral and feed batteries.

If you know nothing about basses, believe it or not you're in luck - you don't already "know" anything that's wrong. You can try out everything you can get your hands on and listen to what they do at face value, without expectations.

(But if the only possible options are those you listed, I'd stick with what you've got until you have a good deal more personal experience to guide you. Otherwise, one guess is as good as another.)

6. RLS

RLS

Aug 2, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Go with what speaks to you. The Jazz bass should be able cover what you are looking for. Ps sound great, too. I have never liked the feel of the neck of the EBMMs. Eventually you will have more than one bass if you keep playing.

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Sounds like you should probably keep the 'Ray to me. If its too bright, put some flats on it, you'll be fine.

Second option would be get a P, not a J. The playability of the J is addictive, but it doesn't sound like the J tone suits your needs as well as a P would.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Would you be returning the MM or did you buy it as is second hand? If you can't return it I think you are making a mistake by not giving it more time. Make sure the preamp has a fresh battery and give it some time before deciding you like something else better. You are new to the instrument, give yourself time to form opinions. On the other hand of you are returning it then A/B them in the store before you pull the trigger because there is going to be the chance you will change it but then next week you'll play something else you'll decide you like better.

9. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    i bought it new at guitar center....so i have another week or so to return for full cred

10. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Off topic but BGold, if you love Circa - check out www.myspace.com/highanddrivingep - it's Anthony Green from Circa's side project, he plays all of the instruments except drums. It's really dope and sounds Jane's Addiction-y in a good way.

11. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    i know all about , anthony green is my f-in hero

12. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Ditto! My hero too!

Back to bass. Realistically, you will be good with a P, J or a MM - change the batteries and fiddle through all of your settings. I have found on my active basses that I don't use much of a boost, just a little goes a long way. I haven't ever owned a Ray though.

13. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    i like the ray , it just doesnt have that organic sound that i love...i run thru a markbass LMII and a 4x10 ampeg cab

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You poor, poor guy:crying: It must be tough to have to choose between three very nice instruments.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with any of those. I would lean more towards the P or the 'Ray, but that's just me. It can be agonizing to plunk down that amount of cash and still have second thoughts about the instrument you chose, but that's the nature of bass. Each of those instruments has their own distinct sound that the others are incapable of exactly reproducing. However, you can get close if you use the right combination of setting and technique.

The bottom line is: There is no right answer here, but there is also no wrong answer. Just pick one and love it (untill you can save up enough to buy the other two).:bassist:

15. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY

well put

16. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I think you answered your own question in your original post - you fell in love, right? Take the Ray back and get the Jazz - slap a tort guard on it and you'll be stylin'.

17. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    My active Ibanez is easier to tote on a strap for an evening than my heavy franken-jazz and its tone is solid, but my passive J is just... right! I get three or four different sounds out of it that are all useful including a P-esque sound with the neck p/u soloed. I don't even think a preamp could improve it (for me).

J-basses are great, but mine is better (for me) that any Fenders I've sampled. If you actually can live without that J, you can tear it up with the MM until you find the best J style bass for you in the future - nobody makes a better 'ray than EBMM does, right? One more sitting with the Jazz should tell you what to do, but I suspect that while you may want a Jazz, you may not want that particular one. Go back and find out.

18. BGOLDBASS

BGOLDBASS

Jul 31, 2007
    glen head,NY
    im gonna go pick up the jazz tomorrow , and sit with both of them ....until i decide which one is right for me .....god bless the gc 30 day return policy