Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confused

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug J. Needles, Jun 8, 2004.

1. I was looking in this months issue of musicians friend and I noticed that there are like, different versions of the Fender Jazz Basses and the Fender Precision basses, and they cost more. If you don't under stand what I am talking about go to page 127 and see the Standard Jazz Bass there, then flip to the next page, and see the standard jazz bass there for $219.99 instead. Does this mean one is better quality than the other or is Fender just a bunch of crazy nuts that have lost their minds. Maybe both even :D Anywho, Some explaination would be great.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Made in USA model and made in Mexico models probably.. Don't have a copy of the catalog at the moment.

3. Yeah, the "Standard Jazz bass" for about $429 or so is the Made in Mexico (MIM) version. Different woods, lower quality electronics and construction techniques geared to major mass production. Still pretty good basses for the money. I'm pretty sure that Musicians Friend will specify a "Standard American Jazz bass" for about $949 or so. These Made in America (MIA) versions are generally trusted to be of greater all-around quality. There are other versions, Made in Japan (MIJ), for example...but those are mainly the Artist versions like the Geddy Lee Jazz or the Marcus Miller 4-string Jazz.

4. Alright, thanks a lot for the help, Like I said, greatly appreciated

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    the $219 version is the Fender Squier version. It is the low line of basses. Made in Indonesia i think?