Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

confusing obp3 act/pass push-pull pot dilemma

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    ok here's the deal... i got a pot from bestbassgear.com and its a push-pull for an active/passive switch pot for my ag obp3 (3pot config)

i was told that i needed to wire the pot in reverse(as apposed to the way its show in the diagram) to be able to get it to work as active down and passive pulled up.

does anyone have any expierence with this?

here's what happends when i wire the pot the way the diagram shows..

the bass is passive when the knob is down(normal postition). when i pull the knob up its active AND ALSO when the knob is pulled up and active the way the volume goes is backwards(to make it louder you turn it right).

the way i want it wired is... active down and passive pulled up..

i really hope this isnt confusing to read..

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I think I got what you're sayin' there.

You should see six lugs on the pot. If you look at the pot with the shaft sticking up, the top three lugs control the signal path when the knob is pulled up, and the bottom three lugs control the signal when the pot is pushed down. If you want to reverse the push/pull orientation, switch each lead with the one above/below it (in other words, the lead on the top left-hand corner should be swapped with the lead on the bottom left-hand corner, the top middle lead should be swapped with the bottom middle lead, and so on).

To change the way the volume pot affects your sound, swap the left-most and right-most for whichever position you want to change (top row of lugs or bottom row, depending on whether its active or passive that's got the reverse wiring). So since right now its your active position that's got the reverse wiring, you'll want to swap the top left-hand lead and the top right-hand lead. Of course, if you switch the push/pull orientation first, you'll end up having to swap the bottom left-hand and right-hand leads.

Savvy?

3. Does it look like [​IMG] ?

You need to wire the pot part at the top the same way the directions gave, and flip the switch part top-to-bottom.

4. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    hmm it makes sense.. i just dont know which would be the top 3? the pot looks like the one below.

5. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

so would i wire it like this?

Attached Files:

6. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005