Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confusion about the Electronics in my used Lakland 55-01

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by natrab, Jan 7, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I got this used 55-01 as a gift and I love the way it plays, however the electronics in it have me confused to all hell. I get the feeling someone modified the wiring in this bass.

Here are some photos of the bass and wiring

The pearloid knob is obviously the master volume. It is the only knob that isn't notched. The four black nobs all are notched at their midpoint. The black knob closest to the bridge seems to be a pickup blend knob but I'm not sure. The second one increases the volume when turned clockwise and decreases counterclockwise.

The third black knob from the bridge can be pulled up (as pictured). When pulled up, it gets really loud when I turn it up and pretty soft when turned down. When it's in the lower position, it does the same thing but it's not quite as hot. I have no clue what the fourth black knob from the bridge does. According to the Lakland schematic it's supposed to be the master volume but it obviously isn't.

I've done my research and can't figure out how the electronics in this bass are set up. The pickups are bartolini mk-1 split coil and it has a bartolini pre-amp (mk-1 I think).

I would really appreciate some help from someone who knows more about this than I.

More pictures are available if you need em.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, here's my take. This is based on your photos and the ntmb918fl wiring diagram at http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/ntmb/ntmb918fl.htm

Knob nearest the bridge = blend
    knob second nearest the bridge = bass boost/cut or treble boost cut - you should be able to tell which by noting how the sound changes when boosted/cut
    Knob second nearest to neck = mid boost/cut with push/pull for mid frequency
    knob nearest to neck = treble cut/boost or bass cut/boost - you should be able to tell which by noting how the sound changes when boosted cut

Pearload knob - master volume

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    That is identical to my 55-01, CAR with maple board. It appears that someone installed a different preamp. Mine just has a small circuit board and a spaghetti like mess of wires. It doesn't have the black box-like thing, or the extra battery. It also doesn't have the shielding tape, but has shielding paint instead. Lakland does upgrade the preamp to the American made Bartolini, but that shielding is too sloppy looking to be their work.

This is the control cavity on mine:

[​IMG]

If it is a Bart preamp (and it looks like one) then it is probably:

volume
    blend
    bass
    mid with pull switch that changes the center frequency of the mid control from 250HZ to 750HZ
    treble

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the help guys. The controls make a little bit more sense to me now. This is my first active bass and I wasn't sure what to expect from the pre-amp.