Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confusion on a note choice (sheet music)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 25, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im reading a swing standards book right now that has many songs in notation form.

Im assuming that when i see two or more notes above each other it indicates play them all simultaniously as a chord...crude example below

lo
    l
    lo
    l
    l

my more important question is this: there are two G's in this piece

-----------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    -----G--------------------------------------

------

-------

--------
    G

where the heck would i play this low G like that when my lowest note choice is B(A if i decide to tune down) Im thinking the F cleff pieces in the book are for left hand piano for some reason.

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    What book is it?
    To make reading easier in the Bass(F)clef for bassists we transpose everything up an octave,so that LOOOOWWW G,is really the lowest G on your bass,the higher one is the octave,normal bass charts that's more or less assumed,unless noted otherwise.
    If I understand your first question correctly,that's the melody with a harmony note under it.You can play both ,it's great practice,the principal note of the melody(commonly)would be on top.