Confusion on Abe Laboriel DVD?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by btrag, Oct 21, 2005.

1. btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't want to be presumtuous and label this a mistake, maybe it's just an oversight on my part. Anyway, when Abe is discussing pentatonic scale (the pentatonic cont. chapter on the DVD). He says to skip the flatted third. For his example in G, he advises to skip the Bb, so it would be G,A,C,D. Then, he shows how this relates to the main riff of "La Bamba" I've always been taught:
    G minor pentatonic = G,Bb,C,D,F
    G major pentatonic = G,A,B,D,E

Am I not considering something here?
  2. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    hi btrag, I happen to be a huge fan of abe.

I have one of his instructional booklets.
    and there he mentioned about the "Abe pentatonic" its not the original scale but he revised it because he use it very widely in his recordings.

the 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 is his version of pentatonic
  3. That is the worst instructional DVD I have ever seen! My brother bought it as he is a beginner, hoping to get some tips. Lord! Sure the man can play, but he sure cant teach... He doesnt break down any of the stuff he shows you so you can understand it...

Thats my little rant over, sorry to hijack!
  4. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    If I understand the notes correctly, it is an inversion of a Dmin pentatonic. It is the third mode of it:

Dmin penta is D,F,G,A,C and the notes you described are the same starting on the third note of the penta scale.

Hope this will help,