Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Confusion on basics....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OakenZero, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Hey all. I've been lurking around talkbass for quite some time, but this is my first time posting...

Anyway, I'm starting to get more serious about my playing. My band wants to play some shows, and I really want to upgrade my equipment. The only thing I have right now is a Fender BXR100 amp that's basically a combo deal.

I've been looking around at amps and stuff at music stores and online, but I find myself increasingly lost. Heads, cabinets, stacks, preamps....I really have no idea what it all means.

I've been looking around for a FAQ or something online that tells the difference between them, but so far I haven't found anything.

I know it's a really stupid question, but what exactly do all those things do? As far as I can figure it, the head is the "meat" of the operation, and the cabinets/stacks are just speakers to make it louder. I have yet to figure out what the heck a preamp's for.

Could anyone write up a quick crash course? I'd really appreciate it :)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Go up to the FAQ link underneath "Welcome to Forums at Talkbass.com" Inside should be an Amp FAQs by out very own Joris. It's more than you'll ever need.

3. You'd think I'd be smart enough to look around for a Faq on this site lol....

Thanks a lot Brendan. I've just glanced at it so far, I'm going to read it now....just wanted to get a thanks in.

This site rocks.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't thank me, thank Joris. That took him a long time to write, and it's the most helpful explanation of amps and all that go with them I've seen thus far.

And yes, this site rocks. :D