1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

confusion with ohms!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Dec 28, 2003.

1. OK, the ampeg svt4pro has

RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): 300x2/900 (mono-bridged @ 8 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 490x2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 600x2

x2 would mean i have to plug 2 cabs to the head to get its full potential right??

If i plug the head to a cab that handles 600 watts@4 ohms, all the wattage i would get out of the amp would be 490 right? and if i plug two exact same cabs that handle 4 ohms i would get 980 watts???

what would happen lets say, if i use a 4x12 that handles 4 ohms, and a 2x12 monitor that handles 8 ohms??

**** man im kinda confused HELP!

lol

apreciate if somebody would get me out of this mess

thx doods

2. excuse my ignorance man, but what does daisy-chain mean?

3. ooo i get it, thank alot man, hey can i ask u another question, if i buy a SWR 750, it throws 750 watts into 4 ohms, what cab would handle that??? and do you think it would be a better buy thatn the svt4??, i mean, to get the full potential i will have to buy to cabs, and thats not my case for now

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If I read this correctly, if you only run one 4 ohm cab and you bridge the amp mono, you will get 1200 watts to the cab.

SWR's don't sound like Ampegs.

5. **** im so ignorant about amps, can you explain to me whatwould mono bridging mean??

6. i see... so would you recomend any amp?? im looking for raw bad ass power dude, i need it, like something that would onluy require PA in something more than big, i dont wanna buy no more amps for A WHILE, i dont wanna worry about volume

7. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The first amp you mentioned was a stereo amp, meaning 2 amps that can be used separately or bridged mono (connected) together to get the maximum power output from the amp. Theoretically you could power up to 8 8ohm cabs with this unit. 4 8ohms on each side at 2 ohm load. Or 4 4ohm cabs. Most here would not recommend you do this but the specs say you can. LOL

8. so i can mono bridge the 490 @ 4 ohms, to a single cab??? that would mean, i can get 980 watts into a single cab??? numerically speaking of course

9. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If mega power is your need, buy a power amp. I think you can get up to 4000 watts now. Then you will need a pre amp that shapes the tone to your needs.

I'm an old school guy who likes plug and play and don't need the massive power. I get by with a Sunn 2000s (1969) 120 tube watts. My backup amp is an SWR Workingman 300 which puts out 340 watts at a 2.67ohms. I agree with Smash, the numbers mean nothing. The Sunn keeps up with the SWR no problem and is sooooooo much sweeter sounding. :D

10. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    From your first post:

RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 490x2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)

So it would be 1200 watts

11. i see...but do you guys think the svt 4 would be a good buy for my power need?? and would you guys recomend some power ampes under 1000??

12. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have an online friend who has that amp. Unfortunately it went back for repairs 3 times before they got it fixed right. I'm sure this may be an isolated incident. You might start another thread about that amp?