Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

confusion with ohms!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by venezuelanbass, Dec 28, 2003.

1. OK, the ampeg svt4pro has

RMS Power Output (8 Ohms): 300x2/900 (mono-bridged @ 8 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 490x2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)
    RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 600x2

x2 would mean i have to plug 2 cabs to the head to get its full potential right??

If i plug the head to a cab that handles 600 watts@4 ohms, all the wattage i would get out of the amp would be 490 right? and if i plug two exact same cabs that handle 4 ohms i would get 980 watts???

what would happen lets say, if i use a 4x12 that handles 4 ohms, and a 2x12 monitor that handles 8 ohms??

**** man im kinda confused HELP!

lol

apreciate if somebody would get me out of this mess

thx doods

2. excuse my ignorance man, but what does daisy-chain mean?

3. ooo i get it, thank alot man, hey can i ask u another question, if i buy a SWR 750, it throws 750 watts into 4 ohms, what cab would handle that??? and do you think it would be a better buy thatn the svt4??, i mean, to get the full potential i will have to buy to cabs, and thats not my case for now

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If I read this correctly, if you only run one 4 ohm cab and you bridge the amp mono, you will get 1200 watts to the cab.

SWR's don't sound like Ampegs.

5. **** im so ignorant about amps, can you explain to me whatwould mono bridging mean??

6. i see... so would you recomend any amp?? im looking for raw bad ass power dude, i need it, like something that would onluy require PA in something more than big, i dont wanna buy no more amps for A WHILE, i dont wanna worry about volume

7. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The first amp you mentioned was a stereo amp, meaning 2 amps that can be used separately or bridged mono (connected) together to get the maximum power output from the amp. Theoretically you could power up to 8 8ohm cabs with this unit. 4 8ohms on each side at 2 ohm load. Or 4 4ohm cabs. Most here would not recommend you do this but the specs say you can. LOL

8. so i can mono bridge the 490 @ 4 ohms, to a single cab??? that would mean, i can get 980 watts into a single cab??? numerically speaking of course

9. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If mega power is your need, buy a power amp. I think you can get up to 4000 watts now. Then you will need a pre amp that shapes the tone to your needs.

I'm an old school guy who likes plug and play and don't need the massive power. I get by with a Sunn 2000s (1969) 120 tube watts. My backup amp is an SWR Workingman 300 which puts out 340 watts at a 2.67ohms. I agree with Smash, the numbers mean nothing. The Sunn keeps up with the SWR no problem and is sooooooo much sweeter sounding. :D

10. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    From your first post:

RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 490x2/1200 (mono-bridged @ 4 Ohms)

So it would be 1200 watts

11. i see...but do you guys think the svt 4 would be a good buy for my power need?? and would you guys recomend some power ampes under 1000??

12. rumblethump

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have an online friend who has that amp. Unfortunately it went back for repairs 3 times before they got it fixed right. I'm sure this may be an isolated incident. You might start another thread about that amp?