Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Congrats Alonso - youngest F1 world champ in history!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tash, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Fernando Alonso took 3rd in the Brazillian Grand Prix today. This brought his total points for the season to 117, enough to guarantee him the championship even if he fails to finish the last two races.

He is the youngest person ever to win a Formula 1 Driver's title at age 24.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Open wheel racing?

Dem feller's in the Chevys, Pontiacs, Dodges, and Fords that drive in big circles are way better. :D

-Mike

3. Man, I always regret going into any off-topic forum, but I noticed this thread title and couldn't help it. Hopefully I can get in an out before the F1 vs NASCAR brawl goes off.

Yes, congrats to Alonso, it's been the most interesting season in recent memory and might have a few more exciting races at great tracks with the constructors battle heating up.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to be funny. I have limited knowledge on both forms of racing. People who drive that fast for that long deserve respect no matter what kind of car they are driving. :D

-Mike

5. Yeah Mike I know, I was trying to be funny too :)

6. Yesn he did it well, moreover, he left lots of very good pilots aside, so congrats!!

7. Congratulations indeed, it's a great achivement, definently one of the guys who will be winning in the next few years.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm really curious to see where he'll end up team wise. Its likely the Renault will not be fielding a full team after next year (their new CEO doe not feel F1 is a worthwhile investment for the company) and will instead go back to building engines for F1 teams and complete cars for other series.

Anyone who has followed F1 for the past few season has been keeping an eye on Alonso, we all knew he would be a player if he ever got into a really competative car, this season confirms that. He really clinched my opinion of him at Imola this year holding off Schumacher in one of the few races where Ferrari had a fast package. Michael later said it was one of the best defenses he'd ever driven against. Think about that for a second, who has Michael drive against over the years: Senna, Prost, Hakk, Kimi...high praise indeed.

McLaren will probably be the team to beat next season, with Kimi and JP sparring for the crown the whole way (two McLaren drivers at each others throats, where have we seen that before?) Williams could be an important factor if their new engine supplier works out and they get an expirienced driver paired up with Mark Webber. I'm still baffled that they passed on Hakkinen for 2005 thinking they'd snatch Button. Mikka > Jenson.

As a die hard Ferrari fan I'm hoping the Scuderia puts together a decent package, I hated watching them take such a beating this year, but it had to happen eventually. Hopefully having another major constructor running on Bridgestones will help.

I'm not expecting much from Renault. While the talent is certainly there if your parent company isn't in the game 100% there is a limit to what they can accomplish. Regardless I'm sure Alonso will keep pushing hard and we will see more from this guy.

The real driver I'm watching now is Kimi. This is Kimi's second narrow loss in the driver's title, and its gotta be getting to him. Especially since his losses this year were largely due to mechanical problems. Having the fastest car to not finish a race doen't help you. If McLaren can't get him the title next season I think he'll probably jump. Jean Todt has offered him $35 million a season to replace Michael, and I'm sure there are other teams who'd like to get their hands on Kimi.

Here's a situation that I'd love to see, at least coming from the point of view of a Ferrari fanatic: Ferrari puts together a great car for 2006, wins driver and constructor titles and Michael retires with a big fat "See, I told you I still had it". McLaren chokes on reliability again, Kimi jumps ship for Ferrari.

Meanwhile Renault pulls out at the end of the season for financial reasons, and Ferrari drops Felippe Massa to pair Alonso with Kimi going into 2007....

Yeah...I wish :)

9. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    It's just so nice to see anyone not named Michael win the WC.

I'm not hating in him. I think he's easily the finest driver of his generation. And Schumacher belongs on the F1 Mount Rushmore with Fangio, Senna, and Prost.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OK...I used to be a big F1 fan...the past few years however i got a family and way to busy to tune in. Are you saying that Rubens wasn't on the team this year? When did that happen? Michael is retiring next year or now? Mika Hakkinen is back in F1?

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Michael has not annouced retirement, but his contract is up in 2007 and the speculation is that he will not renew, though he's said he will remain active in F1 and with Ferrari after leaving the driver's position, probably as a race strategist or some kind of organizational role. Jean Todt has alread stated that he feels Kimi is the only driver capable of replacing Michael.

Ruben's Barricello is leaving Ferrari at the end of the season, he is moving to BAR Honda alongside Jenson Button for 2006. He will be replaced by current Sauber driver and former Ferrari tester Felippe Massa. I guess being second driver in a team that struggles to lock 4th in the championship isn't as nice as being second in a team that eats everyone else alive.

Mika Hakkinen tried to come out of retirement this year and was negotiating with Williams for a drivers position, they never finalized an agreement because Williams was convinced the CRB would let Button out of his BAR contract. They didn't, Button stayed at BAR (and has now bought out his contract with Williams, because they absolutely tanked this season) and Williams lost the chance to have one of the greatest drivers in recent F1 history.
    Why anyone would take a chance on Jenson Button compared to Mika I have no idea.

As of now Mika is back to being permenantly retired, though he does actively race in DTM. Who knows if someone might be able to lure him back to F1, I'd sure love to see it.

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Thank goodness Flavio had the faith to pick up young Alonso in '03. It really paid divedends. This is the second time Flav has brought a young driver to the top of F1.

Alonso really drove well this season. Kimi was incredibly faast, as long as his car wasn't broken. This is highlighted to me by his pace at Monza. He was setting faster laps than anybody on course by a signifcant margin, and was fueled for a one stop race! Absolutely incredible..

This has been a great season all and all. I'm really looking forward to next year. New engines, teams, and driver allocations. Thsi year isn't even over yet.

Suzuka is one of my favorite circuits. Spoon is easily one of the most exciting corners in racing.

I can't wait. :hyper: