Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Congrats Lithuania on taking the Dream Team

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bmc, Aug 21, 2004.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Final score

Lithuania 94
    USA 90

Well done. Good ball.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    As there are many Americans on this board, I know I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but perhaps this loss will teach the 'Dream Team' not to be so arrogant next Olympics. Maybe now they realize that it is in fact possible for them to lose. ;)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

As well as whole NBA, that league degraded FAST... I used to like watching it once in few, but now I just can’t stand watching basketball…

It’s all about hockey anyways, best sport ever…

Overall USA isnt doing bad:)

Go USA
    Go Russia
    Maybe Aussie, because i just always liked aussies :)

Cheers

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The US Olympic basketball team is far from the "dream team".
    No less than 13 NBA stars TURNED DOWN their invitations to the team for various reasons, mostly security fears.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yeah, but see, that’s exactly why NBA is going downhill as a league… IMO

Cheers

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Anyone has the right to not participate. I don't think that is a reflection on the NBA. I would say the look on the players faces and their demeanor when they entered the arena on the opening ceremonies speaks much more to the nature of their egos. I was disgusted myself.

7. Most of the "stars" of the NBA have forgotten the fundamentals of playing great basketball. All they care about are the cross-over dribble and dunking. The rest of the world however has not forgotten, Thats why they have been shooting great from the perimeter, stiffle the american team with a zone defense and dare them to shoot the outside shot.

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, but, players are the league... no? I think it's mix of everything...

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So you think the NBA players have the *obligation* of playing in the Olympics, something that has only been going on since the last decade I believe, just because they are asked too? I fault no one for not wanting to participate in the Olympics regardless of the reason. It's their choice.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One correction - this is most CERTAINLY NOT the "Dream Team" and it never will be as far as I'm concerned.

The only Dream Team was the original team that comprised that first olympic team when the NBAers were allowed to play. Jordan, Magic, Bird, Ewing, Malone, Robinson, Barkley, Pippen, Mullen, Drexler, Stockton.... THAT's a Dream Team. This team is two players who could possibly be called two of the best in the league (Iverson and Duncan) and then a bunch of guys who cannot be called the best in their positions. There's no Kevin Garnett, no Shaq, no McGrady...and a whole bunch of flash, ego and selfishness. All together that spells no gold for us this year. How could we show up with a team in which no one can consistently shoot 20+ footers?! That's insane. I agree with Jared that those guys should totally have the freedom to decide whether or not they want to represent the US at the olympics but I also think it's a shame that our best declined that opportunity.

brad cook

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I also agree with the points Brad Cook made. Why would every olympics have a US "dream team?" If we can have it every four years, isn't it not really a "dream team?" It's just..."the US team we happened to get this time."

12. I agree. I think that perhaps the title "Dream Team" should only be adopted *after* they prove themselves worthy of it. The arrogance spoken of I'm sure is atleast a partial result of being put into an American Basketball team, named the "Dream Team", with the expectation that stepping out onto the court is enough for them to win. I can't imagine any of the guys now are sitting too proud, though.

Leigh

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

My point of this whole thing is… its not that NBA sucks because players didn’t go to Olympics… its players didn’t go to Olympics because they suck.

It's not just that... have you watched NBA lately? its boring... no one actually wants to play... its slow... every time someone touches someone its "oh no I broke my nail" and refs call fouls every 2 seconds… its just very bad game now… as much as I like basketball… what NBA is now is NOT basketball.

Cheers

14. There is no one from the 'old school' in the team. This team is nowhere being as strong as past one's. You kicked ass at the swimming though

15. US womens softball=dream team

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The Dream Team was a one-time event. It should now go back to the college players and leave the pros out. IMO

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    YEAH ! Go Flatheads !

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You nailed it right there. The USA team is playing man-to-man while everyone else is playing zone. I find it makes for interesting B-ball as you can see the strengths and weaknesses of both strategies. Team USA had a hard time penetrating the key, let alone could sink a foul if their lives depended on it. That was sad.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm an American & I agree 110%.

20. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    92, 93 was the dream team not now. imo Basketball players are paid way too much. I think thats why they feel they can turn down the Olympics.