Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Congrats to Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    He's offically a member of the NFL hall of fame now.

So forget about that Emmit Smith dude, Barry would have broken Paytons record years ago while at the same time being blessed with some of the worst offensive lines in the league. People seem to forget this!

2. cool.

And I've already forgotten about Emmit Smith, so don't worry. :)

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

But Emmit Smith has Championship rings.

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Barry Sanders, but the Lions overall, man, it hurt to watch.

Barry could've, but was on the wrong team. The Lions...haven't.

4. Emmit Smith > Barry Sanders

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Exactly my point. Just imagin what Barry could have done on a good team. Man if only......

It was kind of fun watching Scott Mitchell stumble around like a big oalf though.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Awesome - he's a real class act. Could you imagine if he ran behind the Cowboy line that E. Smith had all those years???!!!

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    only in texas...............and maybe bizarro world ;)

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I like Barry, but I still think Emmitt is better, and thats not just because i'm a Cowboy fan.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Actually, people seem to forget that Detroit had some pretty decent offensive lines in reality. Further, Barry coulda woulda shoulda, but didn't.

Emmitt was a better pass blocker, a better receiver and route runner, and didn't lose 3 three yards as often as he gained it. In fact, you could argue that with Sanders losing yardage fairly often, he killed drives, (since Detroit's QB and WRs weren't that hot), and was a partial cause to their lack of success.

Further, Emmitt played many more playoff games, contributing to wear and tear, and making him far more productive than Sanders.

Sanders walked away. Don't give me coulda woulda shoulda, cause the fact is that he didn't.

Ultimately, football is more of a team sport than any other, and both RBs made wonderful contributions to their teams. If I'm building a team, and I can choose between the two, I take Emmitt. Hands down.

Of course, Jim Brown was the baddest of all time.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    if by "Emmit" you really mean "offensive line" then yeah Emmit would be better......

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Emmitt also ran it right up the gut of opposing teams. Barry for all his fine work, tried to aviod contact at any cost.

12. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Being a Florida alum, I'm a big Emmit fan. And I think his championship rings give him the edge, better team or not. However, Barry knew when to retire whereas Emmit doesn't.

I respect them both but think comparing them is like comparing my Roscoe LG3005 to a vintage Fender - totally different beasts but I'd love either on my team.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    C'mon man. Give me a real discussion. I lay some real opinions with real content in them on you, and you come back with that.

Go back and look at Detroit's old O-line's, and tell me...

You know what, actually? I'm not going to carry on a real conversation with someone who won't.

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well i can't lay down many facts because i know close to jack squat about any sport except hocky.

My point was Emmit and Barry are about the same age, and Barry would have passed walter payton back in 99' hadn't he walked away (note there is always the injury possibility). And a lot of what he did was with sub-par offensive lines. The only year they had a really good line was 94' or 95' i think. Plus he was fun to watch.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100% with jazzbo and P. Aaron on this.

Barry was a flashier runner, but wasn't as consistent as Smith.

But Smith, in his prime, scored touchdowns and won ballgames. Including playoff games and Super Bowls.

Sanders lines, on average, weren't as good as the best Cowboys lines. But they were good lines. Any NFL back could have gotten 1000 yards a season behind them. Sanders got considerably more than that, and he was special.

But if I were starting an NFL franchise in 1989/1990 and had my choice between the two, I would pick Emmitt.

As Adam pointed out, Barry was one dimensional. He was one of the greatest pure runners ever. But Emmitt was a complete back. He could run with the top 1%, run routes with the top 2%, catch with the top 10%, and block with the top 10%.

16. Emmit, pass block? Oh, so he isn't the reason Troy Aikman suffered so many head injuries. :rolleyes:

17. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    You can't even talk about beating Payton's record and running behind a bad offensive line. Look what Walter Payton ran behind for years. I would have liked to see what Payton could have done behind a line like Barry had. Up until the mid-80s peyton had garbage to run behind, plus Bob Avellini at QB :shudders:

I think Ditka said it best when he said..

''There are better runners than Walter,'' Ditka said. ''But he's the best football player I ever saw. To me, that's the ultimate compliment.''

18. Congratulations Barry!

What was his streak of 100+ yard games?

All those yards are all Barry's.

What was that about Detroit having iffy recievers? At one time did they not have Herman Moore, Johnny Morton and (I think) Germaine Crowell or someone else. Still, Herman Moore and Johnny Morton made a hell of a two reciever duo, about as good as Sterling Sharpe and Robert Brooks. Doesn't Herman Moore still hold the NFL record for catches in a single season?

Congratulations Barry, but thanks for retiring.

Go Green Bay!

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I always liked Bo Jackson. When he retired, I quit watching pro football.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Walter is the best I ever saw. I never had the pleasure of watching Jim Brown. Walter had a way of making something out of nothing. He didn't have the best speed, or the best moves, but he had heart and instinct. I love Emmitt, and Barry too, but neither one of them are in the same league as Sweetness.