Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

conk 9 on the Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Anti_Wish, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Oh my............ That is one of my favorite Conklins too. I wish I had the money. :( :( :(

2. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wow. Conklins never cease to amaze me. He really builds some amazing instruments.

BUT, no gas here. I think that 6 strings is just right for me. I wouldn't even begin to know what to do with something like that. (although it might be fun figuring it out :) )

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now, does that one have the landing lights on the fretboard?

5. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I'd only buy it if it came with a cup holder & umbrella. I'm sorry man but guitar pickup on a bass?

6. actually I think that the guitar pickup is a cool idea on a 9 stringer like that beacuse it could give you some sweet tones while playing chords on those uper strings.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    *Apey shutters like if he just seen a huge spider and gets that huge urine-inducing jolt through his body*

8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Funny, I could buy it right now, I like it too, but would never play such a specific signature model, it even has "made for Al Caldwell" written on the back of the headstock. Besides, he only received this bass during last winter namm, why getting rid of it so damn fast?

edit: Al played bass for Whitney Houston??? :eek:

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    it also has Al Caldwell inlaid at the 12th fret...

I know once I get back into ERBs (buying a GTBD7) that I'm gonna GAS for a custom Conk, but I doubt it'll be 9 strings...

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Al Never told me he played for Whitney Houston :smug:

How did he get Whitney confused with Vanessa????!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    No, I never played for Whitney Houston. But i'll take a check.

12. I touched that bass at Winter NAMM 2004 and couldn't believe how easy it played. Now my GAS is at a new high. :eyebrow: Dammit.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

It's bigger than she is.

... why is that vaugely sexy?

14. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    The seller must have gotten Al Caldwell mixed up with Alex Evans, who is a Conklin endorser and actually plays (played?) for Whitney Houston. B Easy

Myron

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Is it just me or does this seem extreemly cheap for this bass (it sounds strange to be calling nearly $4k cheap)? Granted it's got Al's name all over it, but changing the 12th fret inlay wouldn't be *THAT* expensive and if it were me I'd leave the headstock scribble on it (who knows, one day Al might even be famous or something :D )

But going by the Cherished Customs on Conklin's web site shows most of the custom 8 and 9's are valued in the $18,000 - $25,000 range. Now sure you could knock a bit off for it being used, and maybe a bit more for it being decked out in Al's name and all, but assuming on the low end that it would be valued at $18,000 that would make the starting bid ($3,900)around 21% of the value. Do custom ERB's depreciate *THAT* much when their owners decide to thin the herd?

16. soooooooooooooooooooooo tempting to rob the savings account...

17. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I never took possesion of the bass. I didn't like all the knot holes on the bass. I originally wanted the bass as quilted maple but he stopped working on it and didn't tell me. He said he couldn't find any quilted maple. So he had that wood laying around. My price for the bass was $2800.00 dollars . I'll never understand $18,000.00 dollars.

18. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    But hey, its still a great burl top, if it only had a fanned scale and I would snatch it :p