Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin 7 String Sidewinder @ Bass Palace under 13 bills.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i saw that one. :( too bad i've got 2 more on order, and with payments due.

darn it, i need more money.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jt...I've got this radical idea...SELL SOME STUFF. I know you are a pack rat...I've seen the JT Retirement Home For Basses. Get rid of it!

To me...:D

4. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Dibs on the Pedulla!

John, Have you tried these split P style early sidewinders? How do they compare to the more recent models?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, aren't all of John's 7s, at least the ones he ordered, PJ? I've heard that a good percentage of conklins are made that way.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't know about that. I think the Sidewinder has two regular soapbar single coils wired together in the form of a P pickup. I think that's the case with this one.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Uh...John....selling me your Rick doubleneck would generate a bit of cash. Wouldn't it?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i never have tried those out. i'm curious myself.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that is the case with that particular one, but they were always different - my #6 came with regular soaps.

incidentally, that bass at bass palace is probably #7 - it was made for the same guy that my #6 was made for. i talked to bill about it at the namm show and he told me that it was specially requested to have the older logo on it - bill had changed the logo before the first 7 had been made.

the basses that i ordered from bill mostly have p/j-like configurations, although they all are soap bar equipped, except the hollowbody which has 2 single coil wide pickups. the reason i say "p/j-like" is that the lane poor pickups came in 3 flavors, one of which was a very accurate approx of a p pickup, and one of which sounded a lot like a j pickup. these are the 2 that i have on each neck of my doublneck, the bolt on and my neck through fretted. my first conklin still has the barts on it, soaps of indeterminate configuration.

oh, and nothing's for sale, guys. sorry. :D