Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CONKLIN-7 VS OTHERS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I know a few of you here play the Conklins, would you mind sharing your feelings about the Conklin-7 vs other 7 string high end bassed, I know they are cheaper, do they stack up to the other high end 7 string basses? or is it a case of "you get what you pay for" ? :eyebrow:

I have been looking at diff 7 string basses and I would like feed back about these very nice looking basses in contrast to others, I thank you much! :cool:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    by "cheaper" i am assuming you are talking about the groove tools instruments, right? comparing the conklin groovetools to other maker's custom instruments isn't really fair, is it? the gt's cost 1/3 as much, or less, and are made by machine in korea. a fair comparison would be comparing them to the custom conklins, in which case, the price difference won't be an issue.

3. I think it's pretty much that you get what you pay for, though in the case of the GT Conklins, I think you're getting a really good deal since the ones I've tried appear to be of fairly high quality for their out-the-door price (~$800).

I just love my Hanewinckel 7-strings. I couldn't deal with the 7-string Conklin GT's because the spacing was too wide for me. Other than that, I liked them. I've played Jean Baudin's 9-strings which have a narrower spacing and they're pretty sweet too. If I wasn't such a Hanewinckel fan, I'd probably get a Conklin or perhaps a MTD.

- Dave

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Perhaps it would be helpful if you tell us which ones you're considering.

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    OK, how about a custom Conklin-7 compared to a Ken Smith-7 or Keith Roscoe-7 in terms of comfort, overall tone. Thanks.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Conklin seems to be the authority in extended range instruments.

Im sure the others are great but Conklin seems to focus on them and have the most experience. Based on that alone Id lean towards Conklin.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What you're asking is difficult since I doubt anyone here has the good fortune to own a seven string by each of these builders..

In all honesty I don't think you'll go wrong in choosing any of the three to build you an instrument. I've played basses by all three makers you've mentioned and all were excellent instruments (although the Smith and the Roscoe were 5 stringers). In the end I chose Conklin after buying a Groove Tools 7 and liking it. Plus Bill Conklin has been focusing mainly on 7 string plus instruments longer than the others, though he does make < 7 string instruments as well.

Comfort is subjective because what might be comfortable for me might not be for you.. Same with tone. Plus the fact that all three are custom built, the end tone is going to depend greatly on the options you choose when you put in your order; body wood, neck woods, fingerboard material, neck thru or bolt on construction, pickups, active or passive, etc..