Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin 9-stringer vs. Warrior 9-stringer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ConklinRules, Jul 8, 2002.

1. To all 9-string players:

Which do you like better: The Warrior or the Conklin. I own a Conklin myself which I got used for 1800 $ and picked up one Warrior at the NAMM.
    I think the Conklin is the better one (more punchy and present sound and the low F# is kinda floppy on the Warrior). I can only speak for the Warrior I played and perhaps others are better.
    Tell me what you think

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Ask your conjoined twin Warriorbass :)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    so how's it coming with that pic of the 9 string?

you know, the funny thing is that i know where all of bill conklin's 9 strings have gone - there aren't that many, you know, and none of them seem to have made it over to germany, according to my sources.

i really can't wait to see this baby :).

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    All you have to do is look in your studio, eh, JT? :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You can't snow the Conklin Man.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is there some suspicion here that Mr. Big Conk is perhaps exagerrating about his gear - is this like saying - have you seen my Ferrari - look how big and shiny it is ? Maybe a substitute for a shortfall in some other department? ;)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wanna know what the impedance on a 4x15"+3x10" cab is...

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    come to think of it, yeah, i do too.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I've owned both and have played my share of Conklins and Warriors with a Low F# and I have yet to come across either with a floppy Low F#.it could be the set up,string gauge,string brand,etc.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    We WANT PICS ,WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS.now thats not to mush to ask now is it Warrior Bass oh Im sorry I meant Conklinrules. :)

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    my guess is.... switchable impedances! shoot, this guys got everything else, what makes you think he wouldnt have that? :rolleyes:

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    how much does the 4x15 weigh? 2 4x15 cabs?? what do you drive a semi?:rolleyes:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Our bad guys! ConklinRules is the real deal! I just traced back his IP to his computer...well, it appears that we are in the presence of greatness...

It's Derek Smalls!

:eek:

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

You know, I was contemplating the same. Assuming you are talking cast frame speakers (only the best, right? :) ) Just the speakers would weigh roughly 100 lbs. A 4' x 8' sheet of 1/2 plywood or MDf or whatever weighs about 50 lbs. I can't imagine building a box to hold that many speakers that wouldn't take a least a couple. Even if you used some sort of strange opposing, folded freako design, the internal structure would take a plenty of sheeting.

I am guessing there is no way to build one that was less than 200 lbs or so.

This Carvin cab http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=1588&P1=SPK weighs 124 lbs. and only has two 15" speakers and two 10s.

Not to be presumptuous, but I fear Mr. Conklinrules has a nack for embellishing the truth a bit. (Sorry Jeff!)

Chas

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    yeah, then he takes the cab out of the trailer with a forklift, runs his 14 string doubleneck into his preamp, out to the semi's engine, and a speakon cable from that to the speaker cabs :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D:D:D

No problem, Chas.

----------------

The Embezzler

17. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    a low f#? you might want to try playing the keyboard instead...

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why? There are a few bassists out there who use a low F#. Jauqo even uses a low C#, below the F#.

19. mva

mva

Jul 1, 2002
    seems like you can push the low boundaries much better with a synth to me