Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Ambrose, Oct 24, 2005.

1. James Ambrose

James Ambrose

Jul 20, 2005
    i just wanted to hear some input on Conklin basses, i her good things but iono

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, what do you want to know? I have a GT-4 that I love. It's a bit heavier than my others, but it wounds amazing. I love the wenge neck. It is such a cool wood, and the purpleheart fingerboard is very nice.

3. Do you mean Bill Conklin's custom-made, really expensive, models, or the made-in-Korea Groove Tools line? General opinion in this forum indicates that Bill Conklin's basses are about as good as you can get, up there with Foderas, Ken Smiths, etc. Groove Tools are generally regarded as about as close to a custom job without the price tag. As for specifics, I'll let you know when my Groove Tools Bill Dickens signature model arrives :hyper: .

4. walwear

walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    I had a gorgeous custom shop melted-top 5-string. Selling it was easily one of THE most moronic things I have ever done! The bass was amazing and Bill is both one of the finest luthiers on the planet and one of the most genuine guys you'll ever come across. The current owner of my former bass lives in Alaska...I'm serious...and I email him several times a year reminding him that I'd be happy to buy it back if he gets tired of it...he laughs...and laughs...I don't think I'm going to get the chance.

5. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I've only played the Korean ones, and was favorably impressed.

I recently found out that my uncle, who lives in Springfield, MO, is friends with Conklin.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

seems to me that you should go and visit your uncle more often then :D

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    So what's the latest on yours (bass not uncle)??

:)

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have owned two GT7's and most recently a custom 7...They sound great, but (and i am not flaming here) i cannot hang with the body design.
    Just not for me...The people that love them love them and i love the tone.

9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I had a GT4 Korean for a couple of years. The feel/sound was very good. I'm just more of a traditionalist and switched back to Fenders. I recall the neck being very comfortable. The active electronics weren't bad. The locking input jack is one of the most intelligent and practical features I've seen on any bass.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I did a quick review on my GT7 here at TB

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/708/sort/7/cat/13/page/1

There are a few others there for an 8 & 10, as well.

I like the bass a lot, it's been great for my introduction to the 7 world. Sometime in the not too distant future I'll be ordering a new 7 from FBB, not because there's anything wrong with the Conklin, but I'm just a gigantic FBB fan.

The custom shop stuff from Conklin is simply amazing. Both Mark Beem and Denson Angulo (Bassius) are Conklin Custom players, John Turner has a mind-boggling Conklin collection .... BTW, all excellent players ..... :cool:

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have had dinner with Bill a couple of times about 4 years ago. He is really good at what he does. The Melted wood bass are kick a@@! They have a feel to them that is very different. They are completely extravigant. I played this double neck 8/9 string. That was mental. I work enough on 4 strings, but the person that was playing this one was incredible. I have not played a Groove Tools, but the customs are pretty incredible.

12. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    waiting final setup, on hold until they catch up on other projects (I'd imagine jean's conklin being one!)

13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My GT4 sounds like a custom bass. It's got that real hi-fi punch, and I got it to contrast with my two Fender basses. It works great in some of the fusion and funk stuff I'm doing now. The neck is a joy to play on, and the body is heavy, but balances exceptionally well.

14. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I should! He's a great drummer who's learning bass now. But 500 miles is a long way inside a car. :(

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second the heaviness of the Conklins. But with a nice wider leather strap, it is very comfy.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Bull Honkey. I drove from Niagara Falls, Canada to Flagstaff, Arizona in 3 days. And that was just so my mom could see her friend for a bit!

Now, how far would you travel for a bass? ;)

17. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Actually, mine is on hold for another 3 weeks so it isn't me (It's been waiting for the frets to be slotted since August)... :bawl:

18. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    It all depends...are you paying? :hyper:
    Or am I paying? :crying:

19. I have a question for the 8+ string users. I've been thinking about getting some more range on my bass and getting a conklin 8 or 9 string.

I've seen some vids with jean and al caldwell playing ERB like these; but do any other of you guys have videos of you playing? I'm kinda curious how other people handle the instrument in terms of technique with muting, positional approach, to even just how you posture yourself to get comfortable with the neck etc etc... and i'm sure many other people are curious too (plus i'd love to hear what some fellow TBers have to say musically on these)

regards,
    kevin

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own a Subcontra Bass made for me by Conklin,with a White Korina body,Gaboon Ebony FB,Maple purpleheart neck and custom Bartolini pickups and electronics.

Attached Files: