Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin BD7

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I have a BD7, I was curious if you can get a wider spacing nut and bridge for this bass? I hope this is the right forum for this question, any help would be appreciated!!!!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. well, i don't think there's much more room on the neck for that. are you aware that the gt7 groove tools 7 has a wider spaced nut already? about 1/4" wider

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm sure you could if you wanted to make it a 6, but you can't spread the 7 strings out wider and still have them ALL over the neck.

4. There was a BD-7 on Bassalone for awhile that had an upgraded(supposedly)wider bridge- I think it was an ABM. It's been gone for some time now, but perhaps John Dimaggio could help.

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    So why does the GT7 have a wider spacing than the more expensive BD7 :meh: Dont get me wrong, I like my BD7, but I am curious ;) plus, it looks like there is plenty of room to spread the strings a little further apart on the BD7, although some may not perfer to do this.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well the BD7 is the Bill Dickens Sig model, so the narrow spacing might be his choosing.