Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Custom 7 and GT7 Owners, Question for you...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Ive been gassing more and more for a ERB. And the GT7 is the only affordable 7 string I know of thats said to be good.

Where can I get a full spec sheet on this bass, My main concerns are...

Nut Width
    String Spacing
    Top of fretboard to bottom of neck thickness
    Sound
    Playability

Now Im also considering a Yamaha TRB 1005 or 6, WHich I think is an awesome bass. As well as the Ibanez Prestige 1005/6. I usually see the GT7 go on ebay for around $1000, But what would be the resale value if I were to take it to Guitar Center and want to trade it, I have a friend at GC who can give me deals gear and all, but just in case he cant, Ya know?

Would it be worth buying one and trying it out for a couple of months to see if the almighty 7 string is the right thing for me(Mr Turner I want your input too :D )?

I would be tuning it this way ADADGCF and ADADADG.

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    all I can contribute from my mind is the string spacing which on mine was 17 mm, but the previous owner (Stew Mckinsey) had changed the bridge for that purpose so I think that stock GT-7s could go a bit narrower (16?)

The GT-7 is a great deal on the 2nd hand market, with a few tweaks you get a very high level bass, the new owner of my Groove tools for example, digged the bridge into the body for extra low action, inserted a new bone nut, and swaped the mighty mite pre for an aggie obp-3, that thing is smoking now!!

Stock like I tried it, I liked the sound but it lacked some presence depending of the given musical settings, I loved using on a Dub project I was playing at that time, but on a big band gig it didn't hold it up, this is my personal experience of course!

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    16.5mm @ the bridge for the standard Groove Tools 7s.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-3461.htm

EC, seven strings, offset double cutaway alder body with flamed maple top, 7-piece wenge / purpleheart neck, 24-fret purpleheart fingerboard, offset dot inlays, black hardware, 2 Bartolini pickups, active electronics, cellophane wine gloss finished body, satin neck, dual truss rod system, ~34" scale, 2-1/2" nut, 4" width at 24th fret, volume, blend, bass and treble controls, locking output jack, tuned B-E-A-D-G-C-F, built in Korea, with Kaces gigbag, on consignment.

Right off the website.

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As Mark stated, 16.5 at the bridge for a GT7. It's certainly tighter than a standard Fender 5, but once you start playing with 7+ strings your approach to playing changes (or at least in my experience it did) and you adapt quickly to the more narrow spacing. Really, after all these years of playing with 19mm spacing, I was very surprised how quickly I got used to the spacing.

The pre is really okay for my purposes, but I can see where others would want to change it out. Some of the minor things I see between the GT7 and the custom Conk's show up in the finish details. For example, the fretwork on the customs is vastly superior to the GT's (you can feel a few rough spots here and there at the fret ends on my GT), the neck woods on the GT have blemishes/impurities, knobs are cheaper construction, ..... that kind of thing.

Overall though, the GT7 is really an excellent buy for the $$. You can find them on the 'bay for cheap, if you're patient. I paid $499 for the one I use now and it was in pristine condition when I got it (still is :) ) ....... :cool:

6. Thanks guys for the input :D .

My next bass for now, WIll be a Yamaha TRB 1005. I played it at GC and it blew me the f**k away, I mean, it seemed way better than the Thumb bolt on 5 they have there(And was nearly $800 less). And the neck is alot more comfortable than the Thumbs.

But I WILL be owning a GT7 in the near future, my main reasons for wanting one are...

It looks awesome, Especially the natural finished ones.

I want to challenge myself and see if I can actually play one, and be good at it, at that.

With the type of music Im playing now (Hard Rock/Fusion/Prog/Jazz) it would fit in perfect, As i have been talking to a guitarist who is really a bassist at heart :D .

And last but not least, I'll be a senior next year, And I want to do solo performance for the little talent show my school has every year, And, I wanna see the look on the guitarists faces and asking me afterwards "Dude what the hell was that bass or guitar you were playing" :D .

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If you're REALLY serious about a GT-7, get one soon.
    They've gone out of production, and they're gonna be rare soon. at least IMO they'll be rare.

-Mark

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    How is the weight/balance on these beasts?

I'm really interested in a conklin gt-7 but I am only 12, so I'm not sure if it would be to big to use or not. Im about 5 foot 7 and have decent sized hands, but I'm not sure if I will be able to play it , since it has such a wide neck. I have played a six string (ibanez SR of some kind) and it didnt bother me at all.
    Also, how much do strigns cost and what brands will make them (for what price?)

Thanks!

~Justin~

9. man, you must love wheaties. I was only 4'11 at 12 and am 5'11 now. (not meant to be offensive at all, just suprising)

10. DO you guys know where I can get some high resolution photos of the GT7, Or large/detailed pictures of your own GT's? Google only has pics from elderly.com.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Lol, nah its the fertiliser in my shoes :D

My dad is a pretty big guy, not to tall but broad shouldered. Only problem is, my dad became quite bald quite fast...lets just hope thats not in the genes! :help:

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    *bump*

Anyone know the answers to my questions?

13. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    The neck width isn't so much a problem as the weight of the bass. It's too heavy for me to use on an entire gig. If you have VERY small hands it could of course be a problem, but with good technique, you can get by that. :)

Strings are more expenssive, you can check it out at www.juststrings.com. You can build your own set using single gauges. Both DR and Dean Markley have the correct gauges available, and I'd be surprised if other brands doesn't have suitable strings as well. :)

Good luck!

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thanks! I'll look up the weight of the bass.