CONKLIN DB7 is in the house!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I won this on ebay, 850$ and I must say, I AM VERY IMPRESSED :hyper: I have heard nice things about this bass, so I wanted a seven string so I trusted you guys here and went with this for my first try.This bass plays very nice, and It has what seem to be lots of controls for sound, " I am still working this out. but SNAP :hyper: this bass plays as nice as the 4000.00 Warrior 7 I have tried out :eek: The only problem I had was I noticed the sound would come in/out, like the battery was week, upon my inspection, I found a loose solder connection to the bridge pickup, I just tugged it a little and it came loose :spit: ...I got out my solder tools, etc, resolder it, and BOOYA. I gotta get back to my new baby now, PEACE! and thanks much to all of you here at T/B

HERES PICS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3775483544&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a sweet seven! I've played a Groove Tools seven a few times and I found it pretty easy to get around on. I hope you enjoy it.

3. $850 is a sweet deal- nice bass!

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
  6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Interesting, thanks. Seems like it should have some J pickups being a somewhat traditional style instrument? I like the gray stain on ash though, neat.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You got a great deal on the bass. All my guitar playing buddies are envious of the jazz tone I get on the BD :)

8. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side!!!

:D

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Can you believe that I actually started thinking about 8 and 9 strings basses now :eek:

10. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Nice...very sweet bass!!! Congratulations on a great instrument.

Mikey/

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, that's how it was for me too.. I have two 8s now and another on the way!!

:D

12. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I betcha its gonna be a Conklin :cool:

hey btw, can you get a wider bridge on these DB7,????

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nice score! That is a very good price for botique quality bass. The Warrior 7 I've played was gorgeous and played like butter, beautiful sound too. I haven't played Bill Dickens model before, but if it measures up then $850 is dirt cheap....

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Actually it's a Stambaugh similar to this:

[​IMG]

On your question no, you can't order one with a wider bridge but I'm not sure about aftermarket... I know owners replace the stock bridges with others like ABM..

Maybe someone's who has done it can chime in..

15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

That is a NICE looking bass :hyper:

16. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    WElcome to the 7 STRING WORLD!

17. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    The more I play the Conklin bd7 with its kind of narrow string spacing, the more I am ok with it, I practice some bass riffs I use to warm up, like, SIR DUKE, DO I DO, AINT NO STOPPIN US NOW, ETC..........and I must say, that I can move through those riffs a bit faster do to the narrow string spacing, but slapping is a diff story, but its not the end of the world, I am sure with practice I will get use to it vs the 20 mm string spacing on my other basses, I am curious to what a 20 mm spacing on a 6 or seven would be like :meh:

Maybe to much for finger, but great for slapping when you get into the 6/7 strings basses????

18. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a great deal. I'm jealous.
    Hopefully with time you'll get used to the spacing for slap - Bill Dickens seems to have no problem with it ;-)
    I'm not a great slapper, but I got used to slapping on my sixer after a little while.

19. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Welcome to the club. My initial plan was to move up to a 6-string, but after hanging around TB for a while, I find myself waiting for an 8-string Conklin (just placed the order about a week ago).

I do love that BD7 model...you got a great deal. :D

20. Really? Do tell! What's it like?