Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CONKLIN DB7 is in the house!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I won this on ebay, 850$ and I must say, I AM VERY IMPRESSED :hyper: I have heard nice things about this bass, so I wanted a seven string so I trusted you guys here and went with this for my first try.This bass plays very nice, and It has what seem to be lots of controls for sound, " I am still working this out. but SNAP :hyper: this bass plays as nice as the 4000.00 Warrior 7 I have tried out :eek: The only problem I had was I noticed the sound would come in/out, like the battery was week, upon my inspection, I found a loose solder connection to the bridge pickup, I just tugged it a little and it came loose :spit: ...I got out my solder tools, etc, resolder it, and BOOYA. I gotta get back to my new baby now, PEACE! and thanks much to all of you here at T/B

HERES PICS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3775483544&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a sweet seven! I've played a Groove Tools seven a few times and I found it pretty easy to get around on. I hope you enjoy it.

3. $850 is a sweet deal- nice bass!

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  5. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
  6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Interesting, thanks. Seems like it should have some J pickups being a somewhat traditional style instrument? I like the gray stain on ash though, neat.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    You got a great deal on the bass. All my guitar playing buddies are envious of the jazz tone I get on the BD :)

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    WOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and welcome to the Dark Side!!!

:D

9. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Can you believe that I actually started thinking about 8 and 9 strings basses now :eek:

10. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Nice...very sweet bass!!! Congratulations on a great instrument.

Mikey/

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep, that's how it was for me too.. I have two 8s now and another on the way!!

:D

12. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

I betcha its gonna be a Conklin :cool:

hey btw, can you get a wider bridge on these DB7,????

13. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nice score! That is a very good price for botique quality bass. The Warrior 7 I've played was gorgeous and played like butter, beautiful sound too. I haven't played Bill Dickens model before, but if it measures up then $850 is dirt cheap....

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Actually it's a Stambaugh similar to this:

[​IMG]

On your question no, you can't order one with a wider bridge but I'm not sure about aftermarket... I know owners replace the stock bridges with others like ABM..

Maybe someone's who has done it can chime in..

15. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

That is a NICE looking bass :hyper:

16. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    WElcome to the 7 STRING WORLD!

17. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    The more I play the Conklin bd7 with its kind of narrow string spacing, the more I am ok with it, I practice some bass riffs I use to warm up, like, SIR DUKE, DO I DO, AINT NO STOPPIN US NOW, ETC..........and I must say, that I can move through those riffs a bit faster do to the narrow string spacing, but slapping is a diff story, but its not the end of the world, I am sure with practice I will get use to it vs the 20 mm string spacing on my other basses, I am curious to what a 20 mm spacing on a 6 or seven would be like :meh:

Maybe to much for finger, but great for slapping when you get into the 6/7 strings basses????

18. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's a great deal. I'm jealous.
    Hopefully with time you'll get used to the spacing for slap - Bill Dickens seems to have no problem with it ;-)
    I'm not a great slapper, but I got used to slapping on my sixer after a little while.

19. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Welcome to the club. My initial plan was to move up to a 6-string, but after hanging around TB for a while, I find myself waiting for an 8-string Conklin (just placed the order about a week ago).

I do love that BD7 model...you got a great deal. :D

20. Really? Do tell! What's it like?