Conklin Groove Tools 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmInEnT_BaSsIsT, Jul 11, 2002.

1. What do you guys think about the GT 7? I have a fretless Ibanez Soundgear 6, and I'm thinking of making the switch to 7, so any opinions would be appreciated.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    or you could use the search function...they're great basses...and for the money, they are _awesome_ basses
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they're great for the money - as good as, or better than anything else in that price range, imo (6 or 7).

if you do a search on groove tools, you'll no doubt find one of my disertations on the subject :D
  4. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I sure wish they made a 6 string!! I'd probably snap one up in a second. Oh yeah with a 3 band eq too,, funny thing is,, they have a conklin GT-5 at our GC,, it has a 3 band eq!! weird,, thought they only came with t and b.
  5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's probably been modified. changing the preamp to a 3 band is a common mod on all the groove tools.
  6. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Independently, the GT version of the bass is quite nice and worth the money. However, if you play it in direct comparison to a "real" Conklin 7 string, there's just no... umm... comparison.

I felt that the GT bass didn't have anywhere near the resonance and "live-ness" of the full-price Conklin, and just didn't feel as good to play.

I guess in some cases, you really do get what you pay for.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh, i hear ya man! bill was a *^&% hair from building a marco mendoza sig, and he decided to go with fernandes...i guess whatever floats your boat, huh? :mad: bill would more than gladly build you one, though ;) he's a great guy if you've never spoken with him...and they have some pictures on the website of the bass that would've been the gt6. sweet looking bass, if i do say so mahownself. here let me hook you up:

sorry to jack your thread, there, dude :D
  8. That looks way better than any GT I've seen. It's a shame it's not going into production :( , I love the contours of the body. I'd probably get that over the 7 any day
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i dig it too...that bass has been off of the drawing boards, as far as going into production goes, for about a year, if not longer...too bad. bill will build one at the drop of a hat, though. :D
  10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    or a 7 with the same body shape and style. :)
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    whatever floats your tanker...the only thing about that bass that i would change is the string spacing
  12. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, same thing here. Nice bass but too tight for my 7-string tastes.
  13. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I just got a chance to play one of those today, and it is a sweet bass, I think I might pick one of those up for my next bass. Gotta wonder though, because I didn't get a chance to mess around with it too much, how is it strung? BEADGCF?
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That is the most common tuning.

f#bEADGc and bEADGbe are pretty popular too.
  15. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Personally I would invest in the Bill Dickens Signature Groove Tools 7. At first I thought it just had his name on it & was in a different color. Boy was I wrong! This thing is really tricked out. It's a supercharged bass with a totally different preamp & pickups. It really is amazing & affordable.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not to mention it's neck through as opposed to bolt on, and with a tighter string spacing at the nut.
  17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was thinking about the 5 string. i am not ready for a seven or a six. well maybe a six. but hey don't have one!. how about a four?
    i would have all of them! they look awsome!

18. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I had one. It is a good bass. The construction was excellent and it was actually very playable. Unfortunatly, I could find anything to play on it. Too much bass for me. I liked to tune it like a guitar and play monster baritone chords. The weak point on the bass is definitely the preamp.
  19. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I played a GT4 in a pawn shop yesterday, & it was quite nice. Wenge neck felt great as usual, very interesting profile, seemed kind of V-ish. Wenge fingerboard was nice too.
    I really like they way they hang. The strap button on the back of the horn is a good feature.

Tone was solid; I guess only the GT7 has Barts?
    These were the 'Conklin' model- I forget exactly which ones these are; Mighty Mite maybe?

It wasn't bad at all, I'd consider one if the price were right, which they very seldom are at pawn shops...sure wish I could find a GT7f though!