Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Groove Tools 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Nov 21, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I posted this over at The Pit but I thought there might be some interest here, too. I recently picked up a GT7 from our very own PMKelly (a very righteous dude) as a backup to my Roscoe 7.

A few impressions:

I played the GT7 for four sets last night with my classic rock trio, The Lost Patrol in a rowdy beer bar. I have to say that, overall, it's a damn good bass and certainly a bargain at the price. It's not on a par with the Roscoe, of course. I didn't expect it to be. I'm not real crazy about the preamp, either. But I was eventually able to dial in a pretty rich tone out of it. Slight treble boost and very, very slight bass boost was what I ended up with for best results (i.e., natural, full tone). I found the bass boost was VERY easy to overdo. I used both p/u's equally. On the plus side, I especially liked the slap tone and upper register definition. I sure did miss a mid control, however.

I thought the playability was quite good. The string spacing is a touch wider than what I'm used to but that actually paid dividends on the funk stuff when I was slapping the whole time.

I ran it through my usual rig: Stewart 2.1, Demeter 201S, Bergantino HT115 and HT210.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bass to someone wanting to stick their toe in the "land of 7" without much of a financial committment. While it won't get you a high-end instrument (and wouldn't be expected to at this price point), it's a quite usable bass and a good way to decide if 7 really is heaven (it is, btw).