1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Conklin Groove Tools 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boogiebass, Nov 21, 2002.

1. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I posted this over at The Pit but I thought there might be some interest here, too. I recently picked up a GT7 from our very own PMKelly (a very righteous dude) as a backup to my Roscoe 7.

A few impressions:

I played the GT7 for four sets last night with my classic rock trio, The Lost Patrol in a rowdy beer bar. I have to say that, overall, it's a damn good bass and certainly a bargain at the price. It's not on a par with the Roscoe, of course. I didn't expect it to be. I'm not real crazy about the preamp, either. But I was eventually able to dial in a pretty rich tone out of it. Slight treble boost and very, very slight bass boost was what I ended up with for best results (i.e., natural, full tone). I found the bass boost was VERY easy to overdo. I used both p/u's equally. On the plus side, I especially liked the slap tone and upper register definition. I sure did miss a mid control, however.

I thought the playability was quite good. The string spacing is a touch wider than what I'm used to but that actually paid dividends on the funk stuff when I was slapping the whole time.

I ran it through my usual rig: Stewart 2.1, Demeter 201S, Bergantino HT115 and HT210.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this bass to someone wanting to stick their toe in the "land of 7" without much of a financial committment. While it won't get you a high-end instrument (and wouldn't be expected to at this price point), it's a quite usable bass and a good way to decide if 7 really is heaven (it is, btw).