Conklin Groove Tools ERB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Feb 14, 2004.

Conklin GT-7 or Conklin GTBD-7

Poll closed Feb 21, 2004.
  1. GT-7

6 vote(s)
  2. GTBD-7

13 vote(s)
  1. Hey
    Well I'm sure this post has already been and gone, but I'm having trouble deciding on whether I want a Conklin GT-7 or Conklin GTBD-7. What do you think of the 2? Which one is better for value and what not? If I go with the GTBD-7 it will be used so if anyone knows of anyone who wants to sell a GTBD-7 please tell. But which one should I go with? Also is the neck finish on the GTBD-7 the real shiny one or the matte finish? Which one od you like?
    P.S. I'm new so heres who I am.

My names Troy, I'm 13 I stumbled upon bass when my brother started learning but then it migrated to me and I've never put it down. I play in a Bass duo, a contemporary christian trio, church band, and solo stuff. I currently own an Essex :( But I'm upgrading that and buying either as the post suggests a Conklin GT-7 or GTBD-7. And I live in Melbourne, Australia. Thanks
  2. Please anybody. :(
  3. I used to have a GT7 and now have a GTBD-7.

The BD7 is definitely a better bass in many ways. The only difference in feel is the neck width, and that's a very minor adjustment. Both feel about the same, but the BD7's electronics are far different from the GT models. Naturally, the BD7 is priced a bit higher too.

This chart might help a bit.
  4. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'd say save up and get the BD7,it will be an investment,yes. But if you play it,I think you'll hear where that extra money went. -Luke
  5. Hey
    Thanks for the replies. When you say the neck width, do you mean its fatter like all aroud to play or something? And is hard to access all the frets on the GT-7 because it looks like the body would be hard to move around on. And with the Bill Dickens model does it have larger string spacing or are they just the same?
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I used to have a GT-7, but I chose the BD-7. I think it'll be a better bass.
  7. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *has just purchased a gt-7*

but i'm waiting for it to get here. :(.
  8. AWESOME! You just purchased a 7 string! Thats sick As! I wish I could purchase one right now :(
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I would honestly go GT7. The BD is great and everything, but it's basically someone elses bass. You can modify the GT7 and make it your bass, the BD will always be Bill's bass in my opinion.
  10. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Jesus Cods, how long is that bass gonna take to get here? I want some pics when it does.
  11. cods

Sep 16, 2003
  12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I say go for the GT-7 and then with the money you save, get a preamp upgrade. That way, you can have your own semi-customized bass, with a preamp of your choice.
  13. Ok, but is the fret access as good? And so on, hey can anyone name all the differences between the BD and the GT?
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the bill dickens bass is easier to play, imo, since the nut spacing is a bit tighter than the standard gt7.

the bd is definitely the better instrument, although the gt7 is a great bass. the bd compares very favorable to my conklins, and costs a lot less.
  15. BD it is. I think the GT would be nice, but one thing I really hate on a bass is if it gets chunky at the top frets. Does the GT do that? ANd anyway neckthrus are the way to go or bolt thru, they are pretty cool.
  16. Come on Stew the balls in your court for some more comments lol. ;):D
  17. Hey
    What do you think of after buying a Conklin GTBD-7 in the future buy a cheap prestige used 7 phoenix or something and transforming it? Itd be fun as hey!
  18. d'oh!

sorry, man! truly dropped the ball on that one. although by now I'm pretty sure you (and the rest of the TB cosmos) know my feelings about instruments bearing the Conklin name.

of course, my feeling is that 7 is just too few strings!

from the late and less-than-serious lows,