Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Conklin Groove Tools GT4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Feb 5, 2006.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yup, this would be the one made in Korea. i was just wondering how much this is worth if it's used and in mint condition. all i know is that it has Bartolini MK1 soapbars and a Neutrik jack. any help is appreciated :) .

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    $350-$450, based on recent eBay sales.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    thanks Bryan. sorry, i forgot to check there. i saw it on the wall at GC and i was like OMGOSH a Conklin for $250. but then i was like "wait... $250? Korea?" and sure enough it was made in Korea. oh well. i liked it, though. kinda want it now...

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most low-end basses are made in Korea...lots of middle-priced basses are as well. Nothing wrong with it. The Conklin GT-BD7s were made in Korea, and they are a truly awesome bass.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea, i used to own a Ibanez SRX705 that i liked a lot. it was made in Korea. i just haven't seen a whole lot about the Conklin Groove Tools other than a couple threads/mentions.

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd drop $250 on it in a heartbeat if you want it. The GT's Wenge/Purpleheart neck is without equal in a production bass, and 4s are some of the rarer of the GTs to run into used from my experience. 5s and 7s (they didn't make 6s) are the norm.

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    dang dude. i so badly WANT it. can you say GAS? the neck is unbelievably thin and comfortable. and the fact that it's semi-rare is just... wow...

GAS hurts.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bryan, I would have to disagree with you. I think more low end basses are made in Indonesia and China now than Korea. Korea seems to really have the market on mid-range to almost high basses now. Just check out the Tributes, Skylines, Yamaha TRB100s, the nicer Ibanezes in addition to the Groove Tools basses. The $500-$1,500 market and not the low end is where Korea rules right now.

9. The only company I konw that builds stuff in China is Squire. The lowest end Ibanez' (-$450 or so)are made in Indonesia. Korea is becoming the major production place nowadays.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    SX, Davison, Brice, The Bass Company, among others are made in China. I think some budget Epiphones come out of there too. Indonesia does lots of Ibanez, Yamaha, Squier, ESP, Cort, etc.

11. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $250 is a steal. mine was about $420-430 used about 4 years ago. cool bass

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is the Samick factory not still in Korea? Wherever that factory is, the country that it's in is producing the most low-end basses, under dozens of brand names.